Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Program won't install .exe File

Default Program won't install .exe File

I recently reformatted my hard drive, but before I did I backed up my programs and data on a external USB drive. using Alohabob's PCBackup software.

Now that I've reinstalled windows and have tweaked and optimized the system (using PersianImmortals tweaking guide) I tried to reinstall PCBackup so I could restore my files. However, when I install it it installs everything but the main .exe file (abbackup.exe). It actually shows that it's writing the file to the disk in the install shield, but when I go to the program file folder the .exe file isn't there. Everthing's installed but the .exe.

I ran CHKDSK and it found some errors and fixed them, but it still doesn't work. (on a side note, in bootup after the WinXP logo over a black screen the screen goes black for about 15 seconds before the blue welcome screen, is that a boot problem or am I just being paranoid?)

I called their customer service and the spent most of the time I was on the phone with them telling me to uninstall the program and then reinstall it, which wasn't much help.

Does anyone know of tweaks that would cause a program to have problems installing like this? Are there services that might cause this to happen if they're disabled?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. This is really making me frustrated, especially since I can't retrieve my backed up data without the program.

Default Re: Program won't install .exe File

I'm not familiar with that program but I am familiar with PI's tweak guides. Which version did you use, the newer "XP Tweaking Companion" or the older "Reformat to Relax" and "Relax to Righteous?"

The older ones. Where's the tweaking companion? I didn't see a link to that one.

Okay, so I got it to work.

It was either the "AlwaysUnloadDLLs" tweak or the "DisableLastAccess" tweak. I thinks it was the DLLs since I've read about other people having problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by onamission
    The older ones. Where's the tweaking companion? I didn't see a link to that one.
    www.tweakguides.com

I personally found it next to useless in comparison with the older guides, but it may be worth a read for you.

Thread Information