Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My comp is still rebooting spontaneously

Default My comp is still rebooting spontaneously

I have no idea what's going on here. I've shut down all unnesessary programs that started with my comp. It's still rebooting. I've ran memtest and my memory is fine, no errors. The cpu is not overheating. From what I've read is that it might be my psu. The psu came with the tower, it is a 500 watt supply. It just might be a piece of crap. Is there some way to test it? Or would it just be better to buy a good one. I don't know, I'm fogged here. I have no clue what's going on. Someone help please.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Default Re: My comp is still rebooting spontaneously

Quote Originally Posted by wily5150
    I have no idea what's going on here. I've shut down all unnesessary programs that started with my comp. It's still rebooting. I've ran memtest and my memory is fine, no errors. The cpu is not overheating. From what I've read is that it might be my psu. The psu came with the tower, it is a 500 watt supply. It just might be a piece of crap. Is there some way to test it? Or would it just be better to buy a good one. I don't know, I'm fogged here. I have no clue what's going on. Someone help please.

Personally, I wouldn't put alot of confidence in memtest. If you have more than one stick of memory try using just one in the system to see what happens and then try the other(S), seperatly ofcoarse.

I'll take a stab at a few other possibilities.
    The PSU could certainly be a good possibility for causing that type of problem. A short or something shorting your board could do it also. Possibly a screw laying loose under your board or something metal that is touching it that should not be. Make sure your CPU fan is on properly and the CPU isn't overheating. Go through your bios settings and make sure nothing is set to a point that could make a peice of hardware fail to operate correctly.

A few questions;
    Is this a fresh install of Windows? What kind of PSU do you have? Do you have any hardware conflicts listed or mayby a beep code upon bootup?

I'd put plenty of sock in memtest. I've found it can problem in RAM so minor that they have an almost-unoticable effect of stability. As long as you use memtest86+, as linked in my signature, it should be accurate.

Anyway, if the system isn't overclocked, then I'd guess it's just a crappy PSU. That said, the other possibilities are worth exploring. It does need to be a fresh install of Windows if you've upgraded the motherboard, and it is possible that something is shorting out the motherboard, though that usually causes more severe problems.

No it is'nt a fresh install of xp. It's about 5 mos. old. And no, there is no conflicts in hardware. I'm not sure what brand of psu is in the tower. I can take a closer look at it tonite when I get off of work. It's 4:30 am as I write now. No, there is no beep code before it boots. Yawgm0th, it is overclocked to 242mhz, but, I put all settings in the bios back to default for two weeks to see if this is the problem, it wasn't. There is no hardware upgrades in my tower. Thanks for the imput so far guys.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

I don't care how cheap the PSU is it ought to be able to run that. I run a generic 400w on my system very similar to that, and I've had it up to 300mhz FSB. Most likely there is another problem on your hands...I'll post back later when I can what I think about it.

Try the Ram thing I mentioned, theres a good chance thats a possible cause even though your not getting the any beeps, its also a simple and cheap test.

If that PSU ran the system in the past it should be ok now if you haven't upgraded hardware since then but keep in mind a PSU can start to fail and cuase a problem just as you are describing. I've had it happen before.

More questions......
    Did this problem just start, or has it been this way since day one? What were you doing on your system when you first noticed it and did you cahnge update or add anything just before the problem started to occur?

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    I don't care how cheap the PSU is it ought to be able to run that.
    Case PSU can be and frequently are so crappy that they don't run anything, regardless of how much power it needs.

Anyway, when did this start? Had you done anything to the system shortly before the problem started?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Anyway, when did this start? Had you done anything to the system shortly before the problem started?
    I hear an echo in here:).

Under System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery settings have you unticked "Automatically restart"?

If you havn't then do so as this will stop the restarts and generate a BSOD with an error message instead (also the Event Viewer will likely have some logged errors as well).

wayout44, I did untick automatically restart, quite awhile ago. And no, I haven't check the event viewer yet. I will tonite though. Yawgm0th, It's been like this for quite few months now. And to be honest I'm not sure what the heck I was doing when it started. Spongebob, There have been no hardware changes since I built this thing, but software is a nother story, I install and uninstall alot of different software, but I have three good reg cleaners That clean all the crap out of the registry. It's been over a year since I've done a clean reinstall of xp, maybe I'm over due.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information