Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: need help with reformat/win98 install

Default need help with reformat/win98 install

I have an amd 2500, and a 6-month old wd 160gig hdd.

i recently reformatted my entire hard drive, and now, when i try to install win98, the computer runs scandisk then says,

"Please wait while setup initizlizes...
    Scanning System registry.....
    copying files needed for windows installation"

then i get booted right back to the dos prompt.

i've run fdisk before i formatted, and i do this somewhat regularly so i know the general procedure and all. it seems as tho just when it's starting to install, it quits. I've also tried copying the cd to the hard drive and installing from there, with the same result. my newb brain is completely tapped. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: need help with reformat/win98 install

I'm not sure whats cuasing that, it could be hardware related but if no one else repies to your post you could try these things..........

You could try repartitioning the drive and if that doesn't help, run a diagnostic test on the harddrive to see if somethings wrong with it. Maybe your copy of Win 98 or boot disc is messed up, try a different copy...

thanks for the reply. i've tried repartioning the drive, and get the same result. i've tried a new boot disk to no avail as well, and i've tried 2 different copies of the install cd-no dice there. how would i get/run a diagnostic test? i've never done that before, and i'm worried it would be difficult to do since i'd assume it'd have to be run in dos since the drive has been wiped clean. any ideas? thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by jprime
    thanks for the reply. i've tried repartioning the drive, and get the same result. i've tried a new boot disk to no avail as well, and i've tried 2 different copies of the install cd-no dice there. how would i get/run a diagnostic test? i've never done that before, and i'm worried it would be difficult to do since i'd assume it'd have to be run in dos since the drive has been wiped clean. any ideas? thanks again,
    Since its a western digital drive, then go to their website and simply d-load it, put it to diskette, then run it on your system.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

Did you have Windows 98 on this hard drive before? I have a hard time believeing that WIN98 can handle a 160GB hard drive. Also, make sure you have it enabled properly in BIOS (Large Disk support). Any drive over 137GB can be a royal pain in the ass when it won't cooperate. You are going to have to get DATA LIFEGUARD from WD and then do a regular format, not the quick format. Sometimes it is the only way. WHen I installed my 250GB drive on WIN XP, it took me 2 days to figure it out.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

i just realized my drive is a seagate...ooops.

got seagate's disk support, ran the doctor utility and the setup utility.

it loaded "ontrack" onto the hard drive, which is supposed to help install the os onto the hard drive-it allows to boot from cd(ie, win98 cd) or diskette. if i boot from diskette(win98 startup) i get the dos prompt, and the same problem: runs scandisk, says "copying files for windows setup" then boots me back to the dos prompt. if i try to boot from cd, it flashes the win98 screen for a second then boots me to a dos prompt. i'm completely baffled and frustrated. thanks to those that have offered advice so far.

What size partition are you trying to install on?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

i created a 30 g partition, and formated both the 30 and remainder

I just found this on the web for you. It seems than windows 98 does not natively support Hard drives over 64GB. Read this article for some work arounds:

http://www.hexff.com/w98_hd.php

I believe you will need to make either 2 80GB partitions or maybe a 40GB and a 120GB.
    Last edited by casecutter; 09-25-2005 at 11:51 PM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Thread Information