Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows XP 64 - Virus/Net Security

Default Windows XP 64 - Virus/Net Security

Just curious as to what people use for
    1. AntiVirus
    2. Internet Security
    3. Spyware

With windows xp x64 - because i tried using panda internet security 2006, which is not even compatible with x64, i installed it by choosing to open it as 32bit app, but the program itself just messes up. Havent tried mcafee or norton. Anyone have suggestions?

Default Re: Windows XP 64 - Virus/Net Security

well i'd like to reply to my own post because im an idiot =p

Never realized how to properly use the program compatibility wizard. Anyone know how to get to this from run cmd?

Also suggestions on what to use from panda,mcafee,norton, or whatever for internet security(spyware,virus,trojans blah blah) would be great. thanks!

AVG, unless you can get your hand on Symantec Antivirus Corp. Edition.

For Internet security, I use ZoneAlarm, but not on all of my machines. A software firewall's usefullness is greatly decreased if you have a hardware firewall, such as a router or onboard firewall (as with the newer nVidia chipsets).

Ad-Aware SE for spyware.

I don't pay for any security programs and I don't I'll ever find a good reason to.

Zonealarm wont block annoying popups, and all that crap though...

Thats why im leaning toward those "internet security" edition softwares. So far panda is sucking teh~bag. Freezing, not updating with this crapass crack, menu options not opening anything... I dont recommend it tbh.

Popups??? I don't think I've seen a popup that I didn't want to see for a couple of years now. Opera http://www.opera.com/ is now free and is my browser of choice for a long time now. Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ is an often recommended browser. Both give you complete control over poups. If you insist on using Internet Explorer then you may want to try Google Toolbar http://toolbar.google.com/ . It does a good job of giving you control over popups and adds a few other functions that you may find usefull.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by KhaosWolf
    Zonealarm wont block annoying popups, and all that crap though...

Thats why im leaning toward those "internet security" edition softwares. So far panda is sucking teh~bag. Freezing, not updating with this crapass crack, menu options not opening anything...
    As PrarieDawg said, there's not much reason for you to see unwanted popups. With proper behavior and anti-spyware utilities, spyware should never be a problem.

As for "internet security" software, I'd recommend avoiding it at all costs. Norton Internet Security in particular causes more problems than it solves, and pretty much all of them are bloatware. They don't do any better than the free AVG/ZA/AA combo and slow your system down more than most spyware and viruses. They also tend to create more hassle than they prevent. If you have to enable something in two or three places just to view a web page properly, then you're really not saving yourself any trouble buy having the program.

Thanks for the replies guys. And as for a response to how AMD 64 cpu's perform with Windows xp x64... A Huge improvement.

I used to see slow extracting with .rar files, very smooth and fast now. Even while having Worlds of Warcraft open.

With worlds of warcraft, i have all video graphics on and my "out of date" =p im jkin video card is running really nice giving me 50fps avg in ironforge(lag town).

Cant wait for the longhorn release~

Thread Information