Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Pro problem - where's Microsoft Word gone?

Default Windows XP Pro problem - where's Microsoft Word gone?

Hi Everyone,
    I am still learning when it comes to PC so I hope someone will be able to help me.

I have recently just reformatted my HDD and installed Windows XP Pro (which is what I previously had as my OS) everything appears to have gone well - but I have just noticed that I seem to be missing certain Windows programs/applications such as Microsoft Word and MS Paint etc. The files that I have copied across which were once Microsoft Word Documents are now "WordPad Documents" - I have no idea what that means though.

Can Someone please tell me how I can get all the Microsoft applications such as Office, Word and Paint - back?

Default Re: Windows XP Pro problem - where's Microsoft Word gone?

MS Office isn't built into Windows, so you'll have to reinstall it. MS Paint is, so it should be there unless you don't know how to find it.

Smile Re: Windows XP Pro problem - where's Microsoft Word gone?

Hi Yawgm0th!
    Thanks for your message, it was you who helped me last time I was here :)

I thought every Windows XP version came with Microsoft Word etc built in - but obviously I was wrong! Please could you tell me how I can get all these extra applications like Excel, Office etc. Does 'Microsoft Office' have anything to do with it?
    Many thanks in advance and Happy Christmas

btw I found Microsoft Paint...
    Last edited by raptor83; 12-20-2005 at 10:34 AM.

WinXP is nothing more than the operating system. Office comes in several different falvors and can include Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher. As a side note, you'll need to install Office 2000 or higher to gain access to the spell checking features in Outlook Express. Office97 and earlier aren't compatible.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by raptor83
    Please could you tell me how I can get all these extra applications like Excel, Office etc. Does 'Microsoft Office' have anything to do with it?
    Yes, that's the collection of those programs. You should have a CD somewhere. It probably came with your computer.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 12-21-2005 at 07:44 AM.

if you can't find the MS Office disk just download and install OpenOffice.org. It will do almost everything that MS Office does and all for free! http://www.openoffice.org/
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone who replied to my post, all your help is very much appreciated.

On a totally different note, I now seem to be having problems with my PC, so if anyone can give me some advice it would be appreciated (I didnt want to start a new thread for another problem)

Just today I was using my PC when it just restarted itself for no apparent reason. It has only happened twice so far but it is worrying me. I sent the 'crash analysis report' form off and was linked to this microsoft page:-
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...74bae9&SID=571
    The only thing I have recently replaced/changed in my system is my hard drive - for a new 'Western Digital 200GB' one. Is there any chance that it could be the hard drive? I know it doesnt mention it as being one of the possibilities on the 'microsoft crash analysis' page but I just thought id ask you guys if it could be - as I really would hate to have to start over and take it back to the shop

If it is likely to be one of the other components eg RAM/CPU/Motherboard/PSU is there anyway I can narrow it down to which one?

Thanks again in advance
    P.S. Merry Christmas everyone!

How about you tell us some system specs?

Yeah sure, sorry, should have though of that:-

Shuttle SK41G Small Form PC
    250W SilentX PSU
    Windows XP Proffessional Service Pack 2
    1,024MB or RAM (2 x 512MB sticks - 1xCrucial & 1x'Major Brand')
    AMD Athlon XP 2400=
    Nvidia Geforce 5200
    Realtek on board sound.
    Western Digital 200GB hard drive
    DVD-R drive
    USB Multi Card Reader (installed internally)

Is that enough info?

Have you installed all of the drivers (especially the chipset drivers) or are you just using whatever drivers WinXP loaded?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information