Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: updating windows

Exclamation updating windows

My friend has a dell computer with windows xp home(not sure what model) and i recently cleared off a lot of spyware and viruses from his computer, he went to updated his windows media player from 9 to 10 and it said error internal error and will not run, and now anything on windows update will not install properly, so i do windows repair off of his os cd and try to upgrade to sp2 thinking that something is wrong with his windows files and sp2 gets to almost completely installed and then it says access denied, and removes service pack 2. What is causing all of these problems?

Default Re: updating windows

Some malware can cause damage to the system kernel. If you cannot repair the installation, you'll want to save off important data, make sure it is virus free, then format the drive and start over with a fresh install of Windows.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yes, this "spyware"(should be classified as a virus IMO) is getting more and more malicious. I just rid of some on my parents CPU that locked out REGEDIT.

Some good spyware tools are spybot S&D and ad-aware. The MS anti-spy is also supposed to be pretty good. I was using spybot exclusively but found that ad-aware found some stuff that spybot did not.

Sounds like permanent damage may have been done, so I'd suggest you reformat. However, if you want to avoid that, ensure that all viruses and spyware have been removed. Check out pages eight through ten of my guide for help removing everything. Honestly though, this doesn't look like a leftover virus or anything of the sort.

From the sounds of it, I'd say your friend ought to read that guide in its entirety sometime.

Thread Information