Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinstall 98

I have Win98 and XP on a dual boot setup. Can I reinstall Win98 over itself and not mess up XP?

do you have two different hard drives you are booting with..or two OS's on one hd, and selecting the one to boot with? Either way, you should be able to reinstall win98...just make sure you don't mess with your partitions.

Agreed amd_demon.
    I should think it would be easiest to just run a setup.exe from within Win 98 - just point it to the folder it resides in, if your not already using the default location.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

rofl @ pic!!
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Thanks All!

The reason for the question was, for some reason 98 lost some drivers and I could not get access to any CD-Roms drives. I reinstall by copying the contents of the 98 disk to a different hard drive in XP. Used a boot disk and deleted files from the A: prompt.
    Then installed 98 in the original partition. Seems to be working fine all drivers installed. At this moment anyway! And by the way I am running a dual boot on a single drive with 2 partitions.

I have my dual boot runnin' on a 4 partition drive all FAT32 atm so both OS's can share programs. ;)
    <center></center>

just make sure you don't have a ntfs drive or 98 will hang

98 should have taken over the MBR and you will prolly lose the ability to run 2k, thats whats meant to happen to ya computer if u do an install that way, MS recommends installing 98se, then 2k, coz if u do it the other way, 98 doesn't have any way of recognising the win2k OS... i made this mistake once...

to get w2k back u just run w2k setup, then when it installs its mbr and bootloader, it'll show the old installation again...
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

yeah ive made the same mistake, but with 2k & XP..i had XP on there then tried to put 2k onto another drive incase something happened to XP...but then XP wouldn't boot becoz 2k replace some boot files..:(
    At the request of wiggo ;)

the best scenario is use separate HD's - that way u can do independent installs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information