Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unable to shutdown computer

Default Unable to shutdown computer

Okay, i have run a virus check with Mcafee and found no virus. Computer seems to run fine and you can go anywhere and do anything on the net. However, when i go to shut the computer down by hitting the start button, the search for items box on the computer comes up. then the computer opens another search box window and it freezes. it will not let me even do a ctrl alt delete to shut it down. Any ideas on what type of virus this is? This is a clients computer he bought at Walmart. Can't say i didn't tell him so. :0

Computer specs: I couldn't find the rest of the specs online.
    Balance computer slim line case
    Intel celeron 2.4 processor
    256 mb ram
    Win XP home

Default Re: Unable to shutdown computer

Do you have problems with function keys at any other time? I ask because WinXP has a crappy little accessibility option called "Sticky Keys" that will drive you absolutely nuts in no time flat. It is most often activated on a clean install by rapidly hotting the shift key 5 times in a row (you know... like when you're thinking of something to type and you just tap a key that won't create any text on screen?). It should create a blue icon on the system tray if this is the case. Just disable the thing and you should be fine.

If this isn't going to be the case with your system, try downloading AdAware and/or Spybot Seacrh And Destroy. Both are free to use on a personal machine and will search for any malware/adware/crap for you. Just make sure to update the program before you do your first scan.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information