Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The View On VISTA

Default Re: The View On VISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul
    alarming - no dx10 for xp? what a pain!
    hey although xp runs fine with 256mb ram, (i ran it for ages on 450mhz p3 and this) you can see the difference between 256 and 128 very easily. i think xp is limited these days by hard disk performance - see the difference a ram drive makes! it will kinda suck having to disable every fancy vista feature to play games.
    IMO 128MB is the unbearable point. It's pushing minumum requirements, and there's just no reason to have so little anymore.

Hard drives are easily the single slowest component in a computer. Granted, a lot of modern computers could use more RAM, but it's not so simple with hard drives. You can't just add more hard drives or get a better one. Sure, there's stripping (RAID 0), but that's cost-prohibitive, extremely risky, and more difficult to implement than just adding RAM or getting a noticably faster processor. For general use, current magnetic storage is holding everything else back.

2. Default Re: The View On VISTA

holding back? I dont think there is much more advacements to come in the pc world. All i see is computers getting WAY smaller.. and then HTPC's the desktop will see a doom i feel .

I am just going to have to try vista out for my self. But it sounds like ms is opend up a new turf with it. its a bit radical compared to the usual os's they release. a bar set like that could mean a lot of exciting addons and updates for vista once its released. i would really like to see media slim streamed into an all access limitless comunication device.. i think its not so much a problem with the hardware these days but the software development is so narrow minded.
    my view on the two party system...
    [img]http://www.dennisf.com/images/****banner.jpg[/img]

No more advancements in the PC world? Doubtful. Computers will get smaller, I am sure, thats been the rule of thumb for a long time. But advancements will always come. What end-user thought a Dual Core processor would be made in 10 years, in the year 1996? They always find a way to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Sorry, I can't.
    Quite the contrary, Macs are almost unusable with less than 512MB of RAM, and it takes 1GB to really fly. I don't mean for power users (because the same would be true for Windows); rather, the average "office" type workstation needs 1GB just to do everything in a reasonable amount of time. With only 256MB, things become almsot unbearably slow. I've worked with eMacs ranging from 256MB to 1GB and 800MHz to ~1.5GHz. I can tell you from experience that Mac OSX needs at least 512MB of RAM and 1GHz G4 to be decent workstations or home desktops. It also needs a moderately powerful (~Radeon 9500) to do all of the fancy graphical nonsense smoothly.

Conversely, I've comfortably operated on Windows XP machines with 450MHz P3s and 256MBs of RAM. I've probably worked on thirty or fourty different XP machines running 256MB of RAM, and the only ones that were as bad as my school's eMacs had loads of software and usually spyware installed.
    Boy oh boy another argument that ill end up loosing, here goes,
    My friends g3 laptop with 256 mb of ddr/133 ram run tiger llike it were nothing, it rarely gets glitchy, my comp with 1024 mb of ddr/400 with a celeron 2.4ghz and a ATi radeon 9250 glitches a lot with alot of programs like microsoft work and iTunes at the same time.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Well if that makes your PC mess up you've got some serious problems or are just doing something wrong. I've only got 512mb of RAM in my P4 2.4C rig and it multitasks like no other. Of course, yes, I have HT, but regardlessly, thats plenty of hardware to run Windows without a problem. Odds are he takes a lot better care of his machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeAliOuS
    holding back? I dont think there is much more advacements to come in the pc world. All i see is computers getting WAY smaller.. and then HTPC's the desktop will see a doom i feel .
    Hardly. Several technologies are already being explored as suitable replacements for magnetic storage in the next ten years. Different forms of solid-state memory are already used for this purpose, though they're generally even more cost-prohibitive than RAID.

DDR3 is already set to replace DDR in late 2007/early 2008, and quad-core CPUs are right on the horizon. There are plenty of advancements already being developed, and the vast majority of them have nothing to do with the miniturization of end-user products. But I will agree that computers in general are getting smaller.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2005
    Well if that makes your PC mess up you've got some serious problems or are just doing something wrong. I've only got 512mb of RAM in my P4 2.4C rig and it multitasks like no other. Of course, yes, I have HT, but regardlessly, thats plenty of hardware to run Windows without a problem. Odds are he takes a lot better care of his machine.
    I dont have problems, its a dell.
    The fact is that you can run the Mac OS with weaker stuff, believe me, I have compared the quality of the iTunes visualizer an a comphalf as powerful as mine running mac and it looked better(higher FPS)
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Being a Dell doesn't make it any less of a PC if it still has comparable hardware. (Which in your case, it does) Sounds like a fine case of OE to me.

Quote Originally Posted by orangutang91
    I dont have problems, its a dell.
    The fact is that you can run the Mac OS with weaker stuff, believe me, I have compared the quality of the iTunes visualizer an a comphalf as powerful as mine running mac and it looked better(higher FPS)
    What video card was it running? Regardless, your Dell is probably bogged down with bloatware and/or spyware/viruses.

All OEM machines fall into that category, unfortunately. I spent a couple of hours removing all the crapware from the Gateway laptop I bought last summer. Pain in the rear, but by far it is worth the effort.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information