Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The View On VISTA

Default Re: The View On VISTA

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2005
    Being a Dell doesn't make it any less of a PC if it still has comparable hardware. (Which in your case, it does) Sounds like a fine case of OE to me.
    I was joking, I just have a horrible setup. I am not doing anything wrong, I just invoke Murphy's Law That causes anything I try to fix, break.What is OE over exageration? Im not saying that it gets bogged down just typing, McAfee virus, safe eyes and other monitoeing equipment are ram hags, It only gets buggy when I start one while the other is running or if I start them at the same time, either way my word perfect takes about 30 seconds to open.
    Last edited by orangutang91; 06-26-2006 at 08:27 AM.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    What video card was it running? Regardless, your Dell is probably bogged down with bloatware and/or spyware/viruses.
    No spyware/ viruses, im good at keeping them out, I've scanned my comp 5 times and I scan all my downloads that arent from apple or microsoft.
    I am running an ATi Radeon 9250 (256md ddr 16 pp 64 bit piece of junk)
    -Joseph Stalin

Your video card isn't going to make your PC run like **** on normal Apps. I've got a lame FX5600 and my PC still runs just fine. There IS a problem there somewhere.

Back on topic, I would love to try Vista out except no matter how hard I try, it bluescreens before giving me a desktop. Looks like I found something else that is not compatible with my hardware.....
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Unhappy Re: The View On VISTA

700MB? Crap. And just when I thought 2x 512 RAM was going to be the sweet spot for me. Looks like I'm going to need to do some serious process trimming if I'm going to run with swapfile disabled like I do. I was kinda looking forward to Vista too.

Quote Originally Posted by No_more_bad_caps_please
    Looks like I'm going to need to do some serious process trimming if I'm going to run with swapfile disabled like I do.
    Which is another way of not speeding up your computer at all while simultaneously asking for problems to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Which is another way of not speeding up your computer at all while simultaneously asking for problems to happen.
    Well it's not like I'd disable (from automatically starting) anything important. I'm pretty careful about these things. Using a startup manager, my system can happily run with <100megs of running processes in XP. Then I'll have applications on top of that, like internet or games or whatever. If Vista really really needs 100% of that 700MB then I guess that's a different story. But I'd be surprised if it did.

As for increasing performance, of course it depends on what you're running. With 100megs of running processes with 1 gig of RAM, Windows probably isn't going to touch the pagefile. In other cases, I realise that Windows is smart with its pagefile use, but it does also like to keep plenty of available free RAM on tap - even after tweaking settings etc. I'd rather be 100% certain that everything is running in physical RAM (at all times). Maybe I'm misguided over the usefulness of that...

Are they saying that Vista takes up 700 mb of RAM?!?! I hope not.
    -Joseph Stalin

Keep in mind a few things...

- The 700MB figure is from a default install of the Beta software. This will likely be trimmed down considerably when the package is ready for retail sales.

- Most people using the Beta OS know what is going on in the background and will be removing unnecessary junk from loading and running in the background.

- If you don't have a clue and run the Beta OS in its native installed condition with only 512MB memory, it will still run but get the necessary memory allocations from Virtual Memory (the Swap file).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Where can I get a quality link to try vista? Or do i have to pay for it?
    My System:
    -AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Manchester Em4 Revision
    -Abit KN8-ULTRA
    -X800GTO2 @ X850XT PE (16 pipelines)
    -1024MB PQI TURBO DDR 400 @ (2x512) Dual Channel
    -450W Heavy Duty Rosewill Powersupply
    -Samsung Syncmaster 940BF>>>NEW
    -Seagate 250GB 16MB cache (perpendicular recording) with NCQ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information