Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The View On VISTA

1. Default The View On VISTA

Hello folks,

I havent been able to find any kind of solid information or opinions on Windows Vista (aka longhorn). Although its still not finished... Im certain that since its getting close to its release date that the beta 2 has majority of the features you would find, and im curious what people have to say about it.

So drop some bombs.
    my view on the two party system...
    [img]http://www.dennisf.com/images/****banner.jpg[/img]

Default Re: The View On VISTA

I am not using vista but it is too glitzy for me, mac can make it fancy and hardly needs any ram cpu and graphics muscle. Windows is a hog when it comes to things like RAM and stuff.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

LOL... I'll just pretend I didn't see the post above.

I have it installed on a secondary machine and it runs pretty smoothly as a rule. Driver support isn't 100% just yet, but I think that issue will be resolved by the time the final release hits the streets. The test system is a XP3200+ box w/ 512MB and a ATi based X850 video board and it runs very well. While not a bargian basement machine, it is very much in line with what many folks are already running.

It has a lot of refinement that WindowsXP lacks, but it looks to be created for the normal user and not the enthusiast. I had to manually disable a LOT of background features to get it to run the way I wanted it to. It should be a very solid OS for the average joe and offer a lot of protection, but it is a pain in the rear for those who have a clue.

Overall, it isn't a bad setup. I haven't come close to digging out the goodies (or bad things) yet, but I may look into writing a small preview article in the near future.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Well you gotta admit, with 256 mb of RAM windows gets glitchy often, rarely on mac, mac even had slower proc's before they got going with intel. Just look at the mac OS, it is beautiful, just expensive, and lacking in support of games that windows does, (actually one will have the ability to play windows games on a mac when the new iBooks come out eith the windows OS capability.)
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Windows gets glitchy with 256mb of RAM? Cmon, if you actually know what your talking about, fine, but thats just a load of crap. I've installed XP on a number of computers with 256mb and it works just fine.

6. Default Re: The View On VISTA

Just to prove you wrong, I use a computer at work with a huge program (Business Works) and it still works fine. I also use UPS Worldship, Firefox, Word, Excel and tons of others. It has 256 of ram and runs fine.
    I have a Dimension 2400 that came with 128 of ram and it ran fine.

Windows runs fine with little ram.

Alright then, since the point was proven, let's get this thread back on the rails and about Vista.

Darth pretty well summed up what I've noticed, my personal opinion of Vista is just XP, thats more "joe" friendly and less issues. Plus, as typical with new Windows versions, some new GUI enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Sorry, I can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by orangutang91
    I am not using vista but it is too glitzy for me, mac can make it fancy and hardly needs any ram cpu and graphics muscle. Windows is a hog when it comes to things like RAM and stuff.
    Quite the contrary, Macs are almost unusable with less than 512MB of RAM, and it takes 1GB to really fly. I don't mean for power users (because the same would be true for Windows); rather, the average "office" type workstation needs 1GB just to do everything in a reasonable amount of time. With only 256MB, things become almsot unbearably slow. I've worked with eMacs ranging from 256MB to 1GB and 800MHz to ~1.5GHz. I can tell you from experience that Mac OSX needs at least 512MB of RAM and 1GHz G4 to be decent workstations or home desktops. It also needs a moderately powerful (~Radeon 9500) to do all of the fancy graphical nonsense smoothly.

Conversely, I've comfortably operated on Windows XP machines with 450MHz P3s and 256MBs of RAM. I've probably worked on thirty or fourty different XP machines running 256MB of RAM, and the only ones that were as bad as my school's eMacs had loads of software and usually spyware installed.

Windows XP/2000 are just fine with 256MB of RAM. Vista will do just fine on 512MB.

Sorry to go off topic again, but when people falsely proclaim benefits off Macs, I have to go all rant-like. Give it credit for a couple UI and indexing features and some of the great Apple software, but don't say it performs well or is more functional overall, because it really doesn't and it really isn't.

On the topic of Vista, there do seem to be some improvements that are more than just cosmetic (as opposed to 2000 to XP, which was little more than a nip and tuck). The kernel has been mostly rewritten and should be even more stable. It will certainly be more secure, because most programs which can cause serious problems will require you to enter an Administrative password. MS has gone to a lot of effort to make Vista operate like Linux and function like Mac OSX. On that note, some of the interface changes should be for the better, but right now most of them are just equally-efficient ways of doing the same thing. It will certainly work better for Joe Shmoe computer user.

Most importantly to me is that Vista will essentially force the hard-core and eventually the entire PC gaming crowd to migrate. DX10 features will not be migrated to XP/2000, so we'll have to get Vista to get the most out of next-gen games and graphics cards.

As for the release date, the two major indications are either November 30th/December 1st or early 2007. I'm betting on the latter, but we won't know until it has been shipped.

Ive been using the second beta on my primary machine on a slower 40GB drive. I have to say some of the features are nice, but left as is it uses about 700MB of memory. You need to really play with quite a few things to even get it to 500MB. That said it does run smmothly with my 2 512 sticks of ram. It is a little glitchy with some of the XP programs and drivers, but it is able to fix most of them after a few trys. Gaming proformance kinda sucks on it though, probably because of the extra RAM usage. But that is my two cents anyway.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

alarming - no dx10 for xp? what a pain!
    hey although xp runs fine with 256mb ram, (i ran it for ages on 450mhz p3 and this) you can see the difference between 256 and 128 very easily. i think xp is limited these days by hard disk performance - see the difference a ram drive makes! it will kinda suck having to disable every fancy vista feature to play games.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information