Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help! Vaio Nightmare

Default Help! Vaio Nightmare

Here's the scoop. My friend's mom has a Sony Vaio model pcv-2234. My friend's dad thinks for some reason after he has been drinking it would be a good idea to stick a large, powerful magnet inside the machine and pass it over the hdd.

Now (at boot) the machine hangs with a list of all the IRQ assignments and sits and then finally gives a cannot boot error. I took the drive out yesterday and hooked it up as a slave to my P4 desktop and was able to browse both partitions.

We tried the system restore disks that they burned when buying the thing, as it came with preinstalled xp home. The disk you start with is a cd-r and the other is a dvd-r. It will boot from the cd (labeled disk 2) and then ask for disk 1 (the dvd) then will read it for a moment, spit it out and again ask for disk 1. My friend says he has used the disks to restore the system before and I scanned them with nero and they are undamaged. He thinks it is because the dvd/cd combo drive in the machine is registering only as a cd-rom.

We gave up on restore and my friend decided that it was better just to format the thing and that I would do a clean install of xp pro with a complete installation disk. I didn't like the way xp handles partitions and since the drive is a seagate and I happen to have a seagate drive disk I formatted and set up two new partitions on the drive (30 GB/90 GB) I gathered from the fact that I could format that the drive wasn't damaged in any way other than just having half of windows turned into corrupted garbage by the magnet.

I put in xp pro reboot and then go through the whole install thing. When it gets to the part where it has to restart (setup has to restart and will do so in 15 sec. blah blah) it reboots but from the setup disk and starts all over again from step one asking which partition I want to install to.

I have been looking for answers on the net and have come across very little except for enough to get the impession that Vaios aren't your friendly type of PC (such as my custom built p4) and you can't just slap in your own OS and go to town so to speak and have to do something else with it.

My friend brought the thing over to my place because he thought I could help him but it turns out not at all to be the easy thing I thought and am as lost as he is. I was wondering if anyone as any kind of advice. It would be greatley appreciated.

Default Re: Help! Vaio Nightmare

You've got to set it to boot from HD and not CD-ROM.

Yeah, hdd is #1, 3&1/2 #2, the pioneer dvd drive last.

Same effect. I am starting to think that there is more serious damage elsewhere in the thing. It's was taking forever to load recovery disk or the seagate disk utility or show the setup screen when trying to install windows. Plus it seeing the dvd drive as another cd drive when it never did before. It's very easy to see my friend's dad smacking the thing because it won't work (after taking a magnet to the hdd to hide what he was doing online is what we think).

Anyway, I've been at the thing non-stop since around dinner and it's nearly midnight and I'm going to just forget about it for now.

With a moron like that around, why bother even fixing it? Your hard work will just be wasted when super dad decides it is time for something even stupider to do to it. I would honestly tell your friend that it is a lost cause and that he needs to get his family together and tell dad to act like a human and not a tree slug. Morons like that just plain aggrivate me to no end.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Lol, I hear you. About 6 weeks ago he got drunk, took out my friends car and rear ended a lady. He was so drunk that instead of giving her his insurance he gave her his drivers license. Then he drove off, passed out behind the wheel and went into a palm tree and totalled the car. His court case is still in the works but he stands to spend the next 3 years in prison. During that time my friend tells me they plan to move somewhere else and disown him. It's a touchy thing because even though the guy is a total screwup his is my friend's dad so I try not to be too hard on him but at the same time I am glad.

I hear that, I don't mean to sound too judgemental, but if your friend and his family get away from that piece of trash they are doing themselves a huge favor.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

When a computer is subject to physical hits, it can mess anything up.

I'm zero filling the hard drive right now and then will partition it once more. After this I plan to hook it back up to the vacant primary slave on my P4 and do a surface scan of the partitions. If the drive passes then I am going to assume something HAS to be wrong with something else in the system. I thought of pulling the bios battery for a few seconds on the Vaio and giving it one more go in that case but I am not holding out much hope. I don't know whether or not he actually hit the thing with his fist but I can picture him doing it - in my mind. He admitted to passing a magnet around inside of it. It was at this point it would no longer boot. One of the first things my friend and I did was to boot the Vaio using ERD commander 2003 and we were able to see both the original partitions and browse them - just like when first hooked into my PC. We used the disk commander in ERD to scan for lost files in windows. When trying to restore them the utility reported just about every other file irreperably damaged. These were windows files, stuff you would find in windows/system.

Just wondering how many different ways a magnet can mess up a system?

I would assume he hit other things, look for bent/missing parts on the motherboard, maybe something knocked loose. Sure wouldn't hurt to do a nice long CMOS clearing by pulling the battery/switching the jumper for an hour or two.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Thread Information