Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows XP themes

Default Windows XP themes

OK have downloaded a couple of themes for windows xp and i apply them. but after i reboot they are gone. i contunually have to reapply them. how do you make the stay on even after boot. Also what are some of your favorite themes and where can i get them. For Free of course.

Thanks

Default Re: Windows XP themes

Which software are you using to apply your themes? Are you using Neowin's UXtheme patch?

My favourite skin right now is Longhorn by -Kol. It was taken down on DeviantArt by Microsoft, but I can upload it on rapidshare if you want

Well i really didn't know what to use. I have the free version of skinstudio to apply them. I will try uxtheme and see if i can get that to work.

thanks

Ah, I've never used SkinStudio before, but the UXtheme patch by Neowin works splendid on my computer. You can pick it up here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707

Good Luck

ok, well i got Neowin's UXtheme patch. I unzipped it and did the patch. now, how do i use it?

Heheh Good thing I wrote a mini-step by step tutorial on Xtreme Systems forums a day ago. Here's the quote of it:

So, if you want to get that uxtheme.dll of yours patched, get the Neowin UXTheme Multi-Patcher v4.0, here or here. Once you download that little .zip, open it up and execute 'UXTheme Multi-Patcher (Neowin Edition) 4.0.exe'. Usually, after that is done, you should be greeted by this window:

If you are greeted with this window:

Go to your C:\WINDOWS (C or any hard drive letter where your OS is installed) and rename the folder 'I386' to something else, such as 'I386 1'

Anyway, once you get the first window, just click patch and continue the installation. Once the installation is done, you should be prompted to restart the computer. Well, go and restart it lol.

Note: If you had to rename the folder 'I386' to proceed with the patching, be sure to rename it back to it's original name once the installation is done (or after the restart). This is just a precaution mesure

Once the restart is done, you should be set to download some third-party visual styles and get them working with Windows. Here's one of my favourite site to download them: http://browse.deviantart.com/skins/windows/visualstyle/

You might now be wondering 'What the Deuce do I do with a visual style?'. Well, just for a test, go to this page and download the visual style: Longhorn Inspirat. Click the icon 'Download to Desktop' and open the .zip. Inside, you will find many folders (actually, there's only 1 at first, but once you go into it you'll find 4 folders), but let's keep the focus on the visual style. Take one of the folder named 'Inspirat' and extract it to the directory 'C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes' (the letter might differ, use the one where your OS is installed). Once that's done, you should have a new theme!

Right click your desktop and click Properties, then the tab Appearences. Under the drop down menu Windows and Buttons, you should find Inspirat. Choose it and click Apply. There you go! :up:
    EDIT

Note: If the visual style is not shown in your Appearences tab, simple go into the folder of you visual style (in this case, 'C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Inspirat') and double click the file with the .msstyle extention. The Appearences window should pop up with the visual style, and simply click Apply.

Hey this is great! Thank you very much.

No problem dude. All I hope now is that the patching and everything will go as planned and you will be sucessfully skinning your Windows XP in no time

Thread Information