Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to Clean Install XP with Raid 0

Default How to Clean Install XP with Raid 0

Specs:
    Pentium D 930
    Asus P5WD2-E Premium
    XP Home service pack 2
    1 GB of Ram
    2 x 320 GB Hard Drives (Western Digital)
    Evga, Geforce 6800
    Samsung DVD Burner
    Floppy Drive

I've done a clean install on my Toshiba notebook and it was extremely easy but when I tried to clean install on my new computer I had put together @ a local place it was a disaster and I had to have them fix it which cost more than I want to pay ever again.

So I would like to know how to clean install this computer with a RAID 0 config, and if there are additional steps for my motherboard, grapics cards, ram, or dvd burner; like there is for the Hard Drives.

I know they use floppy disks for the boot and that they made them off the cd's that came with the computer.

Thank You

Default Re: How to Clean Install XP with Raid 0

If you're installing Windows XP on RAIDed drives, you'll need to press F6 when prompted to "Press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver". You will then need a floppy diskette onto which you have copied the SATA/RAID drivers from your motherboard's driver CD or ASUS's website. They will either have a few files and folders for you to copy onto the disk or a program that makes the disk for you.

You will be prompted to select the driver. Select whichever one is for Windows XP 32-bit.

This should allow you to install Windows XP on the RAID array. However, IMO a RAID 0 array (which is technically not RAID) is a poor choice for your only logical drive. It is quite prone to data loss, and you're likely to lose everything if it crashes. I might setup a RAID 0 drive for backed-up data that needs to be accessed and written to quickly, but that's about it. RAID 1 doesn't hurt write speed much, improves read speed, and actually gives you redundancy. Granted, you lose half your space. RAID 01 and RAID 10 are even better, as you get both redundancy and a speed increase comparable to RAID 0.

Thread Information