Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What is your opinion on retail xp pro compared to oem

Default What is your opinion on retail xp pro compared to oem

I have used oem on almost all of my installs but the last one had a problem when the mobod went bad right away. When I installed the new mobod it wouldn't let me use the key because it was oem and it said a hardware change. Microsoft is not very understaning about this. What is your opinion on the matter?
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Default Re: What is your opinion on retail xp pro compared to oem

I have reactivated OEM verions of XP Home so I am not sure why they wouldn't do it considering it was for a hardware failure. Personally, I just use the XP Home upgrade version. I have an old Win 98se disk I use if I need to do a full fresh install and it can be activated an unlimited amount of times.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Just call microsoft at the number they give you when you activate. You have the option of either online or over the phone activation. Choose phone and say what happened and they will activate it for you no problems. I had to do the same thing.

OEM versions are just that. They are intended to be used on a specific hardware configuration, thus not transferable to new hardware. This is why OEM versions are sold at discount rates. This is also why you cannot take the copy of XP that came with a Dell and install in on an HP. Understand what it means to be OEM and this should not be surprising.

A new mobo constitutes a major hardware change, and rightfully so. If you insist on using OEM versions, make damn sure everything works properly before activating it the first time. You never have to activate an install immediately; use the time given to ensure everything works properly and then activate.

On the other hand, retail versions allow for significant hardware changes over time. Microsoft expects enthusiasts to change hardware periodically, it would be naive of them to think otherwise. I believe the activation on retail versions resets every 180 days, whereas OEM copies do not. So long as you only use one retail license per PC, you will never have a problem with activation that a simple phone call can't fix.

Microsoft has every right to deny reactivation on an OEM license when the hardware has changed. Don't hold Microsoft responsible if you didn't understand what you were buying or how to use it properly.
    #

Thread Information