Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Vista EULA restrictions

Default Re: Windows Vista EULA restrictions

Ubuntu is a great (and free) option for business and average personal use. The only downside to it that I've found is that if you are a gamer then Windows still wins unfortunatly.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    Ubuntu is a great (and free) option for business and average personal use. The only downside to it that I've found is that if you are a gamer then Windows still wins unfortunatly.
    But then think about the fact that only about 6% (max) of total PC users are gamers and then you may see a good chance of Windows could wind up loosing a lot of market share very quickly based on that alone against cost.

If the 6% figure is a solid number then I see your point. Another problem I see the average user having is with their tech support once they choose to switch to Linux, For instance: I recieved a handfull of Ubuntu disks awhile ago and decided to pass on a few to my local tech shop with the suggestion that they may have a few customers who would appreciate a cheaper alternative. The responce was "thanks! These look nice. Maybe someday I'll have time to learn how to use Linux". How many of the average support staff are in the same boat? They like the option of free operating system but are stuck on Windows training and knowledge. Who wants to do customer installs wiht an O/S they are not able to support technicly?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

You should've given 1 of those disks a go (admittedly runnin' Ubuntu from the CD is a bit slow) but it would've shown you just how easy and understandable it is plus letting you know if you'll have any hardware probs to tackle without hurting your current windows installation (becoming a power user in root mode is another story though).
    Last edited by wayout44; 10-28-2006 at 05:08 AM.

I know how easy it is .... been dual booting for a long time now. Used a couple of versions of Mandrake then switched to Ubuntu and Windows XP. I've also used several other versions of Linux on live boot disks.

My latest point is that the average user uses what ever is installed on the thing when he/she buys it. Most computer builders are Windows trained and knowledgeable whereas for the most part they really do not care to learn, (or more likely in todays fast paced world), do not have the time to learn the quirks and tricks of another operating system. Unfortunately, untill more of the big name brand computer companies start supplying Linux as the primary O/S the average computer tech is not going to be fluent in Linux operating systems simply because there is no call for it.

Yes, I agree that for a lot of applications Linux (in one flavor or another) is a great option for a lot of average computer users. The problem lies in the fact that the average computer user relies on his local tech to help him out when there is a problem.

Well, when we scream loud enough, Microsoft appears to listen. Looks like it will work just like XP for reactivation.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

Now you just have to be very careful how you explain your upgrades. I know this way works for me.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Microsoft's so-called statement of clarification only restates my strong desire to have nothing to do with Vista. It is certainly not akin to work like the reactivation under XP since there is almost never a need to make contact with Big Brother to "mediate" my upgrade. And considering the horrid levels of accuracy with their current WGA initiative, I have absolutely NO confidence in this new SPP they are pushing.

Bottom line... I understand the concept of Windows being a proprietary beast and "ownership" belongs soley to Microsoft, but when I pay good money for a license, I should not be limited to only one transfer when THEY deem this to be nothing more than a massive machine upgrade. I do this all the time and one can only imagine the hooros that await those who are in need of these "remediation services" from MS.

The BULL**** FLAG has been fully raised!
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows Vista EULA restrictions-bsflag-gif 
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

thanks for the site, i will try it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information