Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista EULA restrictions

Default Windows Vista EULA restrictions

I am very curios to know what stance this forum and the people visiting here have towards the tightening of the EULA on Windows Vista. Here is a very interesting and informative article on the very topic:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._licensing.asp

I for one will be stepping up to Vista, maybe not the day it is released, but I sure am liking the new features and eye candy it offers. I also have been curtailing my frequent upgrades as of late so the "new" restrictions really won't effect me. This is a very hot topic of debate on forums all over the web, usually resulting in many immature people spouting about getting the cracked version. To me, that is the single biggest reason MS is trying to protect their product. Alot of people feel they are owed a copy of windows just for buying a PC.

Those of you who know me, know my stance against cracked software is very strict and I don't agree with it. Where do you stand on these issues and why?
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Default Re: Windows Vista EULA restrictions

To be real honest, I've been seriously considering Linux. Given that I am constantly changing something in my test machine, I don't see an easy fix to the issue of changing hardware equating to a new system... hence having to pony up another few hundred bucks to Big Brother for the opportunity to continue to use their operating system. To say that I am miffed would be a serious understatement.

I have been a loyal Windows user for many years and have purcahsed licenses under their Volume Licensing program for a while now. Since MS certainly doesn't appear to be showing any loyalty to its customer base, I am not seeing any real reason to continue forking out my hard-earned dollars for nothing.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well, if you take what they say in that article literally, as long as the HD and motherboard isn't changed often, you'd be OK. Now we both know that won't be the case, but the big thing MS will need to do is fix this BS. I want Vista. I want all the eye candy Vista has to offer. As a gamer, I am looking forward to DX-10. But this will surely prevent me from being an early adopter. Instead of getting it fast, I am gonna wait it out for some time and see what developes.

If software companies, mailnly gaming, would make their stuff run on Linux without emulators, I'd be with you. There is no attractive alternate to use, and MS knows it. The really big problem is that the enthusiast market is so small compared to the OEM market,they cannot lose by taking this stance.

Hopefully more people will chime in, I am very interested in what everyone else thinks.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

I just want to be able to use software I paid for.

I've had to reactivate three of my licenced copies of windows so far. It wasn't a big deal - just a call to Microsoft and I was running again.

But if the new EULA should change my ability to keep the software I purchased running, then I would be solidly against it. I'm going to wait and asee. Maybe I'll get Vista after they release a service pack - assuming licensed users haven't had too much grief.

But the "eye Candy" is irrelevant. I need function. Just because something is pretty is no reason to buy it - expecially if its bloated and unstable - and early tests of Vista show it as being considerably slower than XP. Another reasion to wait for the service pack and to give vendors time to write proper drivers for it. An insult added to an injury would be if you couldn't get your legally purchsed unstable bloatware to run due to the EULA.

So I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by sruane
    I've had to reactivate three of my licenced copies of windows so far. It wasn't a big deal - just a call to Microsoft and I was running again.
    While I agree with this sentiment, consider that I change out main hardware components at a regular rate. With hardware reviews I change out everything from the drives to the processors to the mainboards themselves. Not to mention opticals occassionally and video boards frequently. According to MS, when you make drastic changes it considers it a change of machine. With the new licensing structure, you can transfer the OS to a new machine ONE TIME ONLY. Anything after that requires a new license to be purchased from big brother.

Unless things take a change for the better, odds are good that XP will be the last version of Windows that I run on any of my machines. While I don't have a problem with MS taking a stance on piracy, I simply don't agree with making the paying end user suffer needlessly and be required to fork out more money when I've already purchased a valid license for a piece of software.
    My Toys

This is where they are going to be forced to change. They cannot expect industry guys like you to ante up every other review. And I have seen many review guys say the same things you have. Just crazy. I would expect to see it loosened a bit like it is with XP, if not, the OEM is going to be their only strong market.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Retail versions of Vista will transfer just fine. The OEM liscense is what is so restrictive. If you buy a new PC, you're pretty limited. But Darth, you don't buy your PCs, last time I checked. You build them and upgrade them as you need. If you end up upgrading the motherboard (which for the purposes of this conversation means you get a new computer) or hard drive, you'll simply have to reactivate. MS only considers the motherboard and hard drive to be changes that require reactivation, and honestly, I don't think it's altogether that unreasonable. The price is and always will be, but the policy isn't.

OEM customers are pretty much screwed, but typical OEM customers aren't likely to be moving their OS around to other computers much, and the extremely small price impact this has on typical OEM systems reflects this. Online retailers will still sell OEM copies for considerably less than retail, but anyone buying a copy ought to understand the difference.

When it comes down to it, the minor changes to the OEM license are not part of Vista's set of problems. The major are problems are the nitpicky security features and the anti-piracy features (although these do come into play when using a copy that isn't activated). Legitimate customers are likely to be hurt by the piracy prevention measures MS has taken, and there will be cracked versions of Vista within months of its release that permit pirates to install and never worry about activation. The other big issue is performance, as Vista currently harms general performance due to its heavy requirements and also hurts most gaming performance significantly. DirectX 10 may help alleviate this, and if it's truly never added to XP it will ultimately be the main selling point of Vista.

I really don't like where Vista's new features are going, and DirectX 10 will ultimately determine whether I get Vista within the first six months of its release. For everything else, XP, Server 2003, and Linux will do just fine. If the WineX project for Linux ever became more accessible and had performance comparable to Windows, I might switch over entirely. Then again, I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to get into really learning Linux and its associated software. I just know Samba and Wine would be a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    But Darth, you don't buy your PCs, last time I checked. You build them and upgrade them as you need. If you end up upgrading the motherboard (which for the purposes of this conversation means you get a new computer) or hard drive, you'll simply have to reactivate. MS only considers the motherboard and hard drive to be changes that require reactivation, and honestly, I don't think it's altogether that unreasonable. The price is and always will be, but the policy isn't.
    Unless I have misinterpreted the entire new EULA for Vista (and I really don't think that I have), it is not a case of reactivating like is often required in XP. It is totally having to reestablish the system through a MS database (that is the new SPP that is gaining so much notoriety of late), and if you have more than a single case of reestablishing that license, you are not authorized to use that license anymore and slowly get into the "reduced functionality" mode. The way to get rid of this mode is simple... pony up more dollars to MS and they will give you a new license.

I can assure you that if it were a simple case of activation, it would be no big deal, but that just isn't the case. You either give more money to big brother or you can go to hell.
    My Toys

Personally, I want to see what they actually do when this is released. Hard to believe they would punish the regular market. THe OEM market could care less since they almost never change anything that would kill the license. IF they keep it the same as XP, then no worries. But if it is truely like Darth says, then I'll wait it out with XP until it is unsupported.

My guess is that they won't alienate the gamer market with this. Since gamer's are usually hardcore upgraders too, they won't pony up for DX-10 if they have to buy license after license to keep top gear in their PCs. I mean, I am addicted to upgrading and I'm steering clear of DX-10, Vista and the newest gear just because of all of this. No sense in getting DX-10 hardware and running in on XP.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Quite frankly as a small country town PC builder, repairer and servicer (Aussie) I've been toying with an "Ubuntu Live CD" lately and quite frankly I think that its at such a stage that I think a lot of my future customers will make a fairly easy transition to it.

As a matter of fact I'm on a PII350 w/ 256MB Mem + 8GB HDD (imbeded Rage Pro) atm and was immediately on the web within seconds of the setup finishing (broadband) and running many other basic home/office apps easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows Vista EULA restrictions-tweaktown-png 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information