Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unidentified user account in winxp?. Has my pc been compromised?

Default Unidentified user account in winxp?. Has my pc been compromised?

Hey all!

Been a while since I posted here!. But I'm back once again looking for some advice!.

The story is thus.....

I have recently moved house and have just hooked up my PC.
    (Specs 350GB SATA, 1GB RAM, ASUS SK8V mobo, AMD 64 FX-53, ASUS X800, WIN XP PRO OEM). The machine was a "home" build by myself 3years ago or thereabouts.

While messing about tonight setting up my WLAN and Broadband I decided to change my login password as I haven't done so since building the thing, when to my shock I discovered an extra user account that does not display itself when the windows logon screen appears!. The account name is "ASP.Net Machine A" it is a limited account and password protected!.

I have no idea how this account came into being as I am the only person to have ever used or setup this machine!.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm seriously concerned that my machine has been compromised!.

Any opinions oon this?

What would be the ramifications of deleting this account?
    My PC
    P4 1.4Ghz, 256MB RAM
    WD 80GB HDD PRIM, 20GB HDD SEC
    WINXP Pro
    Ati Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB Color Power

Default Re: Unidentified user account in winxp?. Has my pc been compromised?

I'm not sure if it matters if you delete that one or not. I just leave it alone. It appears with one of the .net updates direct from Microsoft so it must be a good thing......... .
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Delete the account but leave the files it uses. As Prariedawg says, it appears after the .NET updates.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

some .net stuff won't work if you delete that account (although i've never had any problems with deleting it

No offense, but telling someone that some stuff may not work, and then not listing any examples at all does not help much. I have never heard of anything not working from deleting it, and it makes no sense that something would not work with that account deleted.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Thanks for the replies.

After all the debate I've done some research (which i probably should have done lastnight, but it was late and i was tired and freaking about the possibility my pc had been hacked!). From what I've found it seems that the accounts appear naturally are not worth worrying about!. But thanks for the replies guys!. Much appreciated!.
    My PC
    P4 1.4Ghz, 256MB RAM
    WD 80GB HDD PRIM, 20GB HDD SEC
    WINXP Pro
    Ati Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB Color Power

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter View Post
    No offense, but telling someone that some stuff may not work, and then not listing any examples at all does not help much. I have never heard of anything not working from deleting it, and it makes no sense that something would not work with that account deleted.
    I'm not offended, I was just pointing out that MS recommend that you don't delete it

Thread Information