Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot

Ive been thinking of dual booting my system with redhat linux/windows XP (or 98) for a while. I really hate windows, but its that need to play games that stops me from jumping the boat,

does anyone know of some articles i can read on the matter, and any advice they can give on the subject, like want not to do, etc, im fairly capiable with computers, but from what ive heard about the matter, it can be one of the hardest things to do on your computer,

any advice would be good

Sanka

[note] i didnt know which part of the forums this should go in[/note]

Beefy Guest

There's a fair bit of info in the Linux thread here, and there's also links in there somewhere to beginner's guides, so just check that section out...

install windows first, then linux :)

Exactly as Andy stated.
    Personally I like to put my LILO on a floppy. That way when I want to run Linux I just insert the floppy and power-up. When booting without the floppy inserted I get a normal Windows boot-up without any excess dialouge.
    I've got a piece of cord taped to the back edge of the floppy disc with the other end fastened to the top of the case front so I can't "misplace" it.

Simple, but effective!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I hate to be a stick in the mud here but if you hate Windows wait until you have tried Linux. Like you I am 'more than fairly capable' with computers and after spending a weekend with Linux I decided to study rocket science instead... it's easier!

Ewen I see your point, honest I do.
    With the turn that MicroSoft is taking in some aspects of the OS I think it is entirely possible that I have purchased my last Windows disc.
    Now I don't hate Windows, in fact I rather like it and use it daily. But it is entirely possible and in fact likely that in the forseeable future my copy of Win98 SE might become a limiting factor someday to my computing abilities/options.
    I refuse to get XP, so I am looking to open source for a viable alternative.
    For me and apparently for you as well, it isn't going to be an easy row to hoe.
    Already I have been foiled at every attempt to install drivers that aren't included with my distro, as well as a baffling inability to get a simple javascript to function in any of 3 browsers.
    On the other hand I completely refuse to ever again open an email in a windows OS. From here on in my inbox is a Linux directory. There are other Linux tools that I have discovered that are also superior to the standard Windows offering.

But Linux is not easy for me, and I stumble along blindly much of the time. (at times I honestly wonder if my mind is so polluted with the Windows way of doing things that I am inhibited from learning another method of doing things :laugh: )

But in an effort to provide me with options for the future, because it seems quite clear to me that the software totalitarianism of MicroSoft is only beginning, I must learn another OS.
    I'm not happy with that, but that's the way they want it in Redmond --- so I continue to venture forth into the open source world.

But hey, that's just me! I'm just trying to look out for my own well-being as a "typical" PC user.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thanks for the reply Mr. C. Actually my response was tongue in cheek. In reality though i spent many hours labouring over Linux and in all honesty I found it very confusing. I must have reformatted the partition and re-installed Linux 20 times over a three day holiday weekend and it really was an exercise in frustration.

When I opted to try XP I had a similar bout of failure because none of my software would work, I had difficulty with my CDwriter, my modem, printer and scanner. So I dual booted and used the system that worked perfctly (Me) and with which I had no trouble. I slowly persevered with XP, trying new drivers, experimenting with burner programmes and so on. I now have two perfect systems. I look after them with regular Registry cleanouts, an efficient virus scanner, defrags on a regular basis and probably the most important thing I do is Ghost the sytem BEFORE I experiment with new software or hardware and it pays dividends.

I'll be getting a bigger drive soon and maybe I'll just do the same thing with Linux... perseverance wins thay say!

Regards.

Linux sounds to me a lot like the old days of using DOS in many ways and I never really conquered that. :(
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Linux sounds to me a lot like the old days of using DOS in many ways and I never really conquered that. :(

What!!! :eek:

Wiggo not being able to teach himself something??? :confused:

Wiggo, I remember back in 1993 (when I was a 12-y.o. little ****) :D teaching myself DOS 6.22 on my 12MHz Commodore 286... I learnt every command myself and what they did :)

I still remember over 80% of those commands today... so these n00bs who need to run some arcane command prompt based program run to me for advice :laugh:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

I found HTML a much easier thing to learn. ;)
    I've got the DOS manual here though in case there's something more than basic I need to do though. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information