Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vista

Default Re: vista

I haven't played with the retail version of Vista yet, only the latest beta versions so I can't say what improvements may have been made, but from my observations so far...

1- All. It isn't so much the OS that supports the dual cores as the programs you install.

2- Depends on the game. Some port over with no issues, others don't like to play nicely.

3- Not so much over XP since it was already a very stable OS, but there are many improvements in the kernel.

4- Yes
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

It's only slower today. Tomorrow a new magical driver could be released to fix everything and speed it up.

I imagine on a nice system you won't notice. And after you tweak it to hell, you will think it's much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by CColtManM View Post
    It's only slower today. Tomorrow a new magical driver could be released to fix everything and speed it up.

I imagine on a nice system you won't notice. And after you tweak it to hell, you will think it's much faster.
    Uh no, it's slower because it uses more RAM and it interfaces with some hardware (video and sound in particular) in a slower way. This is not fixable, even with tweaks. Out-of-the-box XP will always use less system resources than even a tweaked Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    If that is the case then any version will support a simple home network, even if it is ported through a router or hub.

Unless you are willing to reinstall Windows and make multiple partitions the proper way, you will need to get a third party utility like Partition Magic or something similar to create a new partition in the free space of your drive.
    Another thing to keep in mind is compatibility. Windows Vista seems like its incompatible with alot of software I've tried so far. I just found out it can't even run a flash player for Firefox yet:(. That might be deliberate though knowing Microsoft. Better not have high hopes of getting Partition Magic to work in Vista mode, I think it'll bomb.......

Vista is for chumps..................
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th View Post
    Uh no, it's slower because it uses more RAM and it interfaces with some hardware (video and sound in particular) in a slower way. This is not fixable, even with tweaks. Out-of-the-box XP will always use less system resources than even a tweaked Vista.
    "Not totally true. Vista has far better management of resources like RAM and I/O (hard disk).

It is true however Vista ships with more default services and running applications at boot, but with the performance enhancements in the kernel, I think it can be outweighed.

With more driver improvements in the future, you can expect a lot better performing and stable computers running Vista than XP. At the moment, Vista is marginally slower than XP."

Vista, what a disappointment =\
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Okay, I have read that Vista is basically Windows 2003 with some improvements and that this is basically a huge commercial beta test till Vista SP1 comes out. Sounds like Microsoft. Any comments?

BTW, have any of you tried to run Unreal Tournament 2004 on Vista? Was it successful?

theyve already cracked Vista
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post

theyve already cracked Vista
    Could you furnish more details?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information