Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vista

Default vista

does anyone know if the Vista Home Premium Edition (64-bit) will be able to join domains?
    My Rig;
    Mobo: MSI P7N SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0,OC'd to 2.7Ghz
    RAM: 4Gb DDR2 900Mhz, 4-4-4-12 (GeIL)
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb x2, RAID 0
    Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    PSU: Antec Neo HE 550
    GFX: 2 x Zotac 8800GT AMP Edition in SLI
    Case: Antec 900
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead (Anarchy Red)
    Keyboard: Logitech Wave

Lightbulb Re: vista

I got this info with a quick live.com search.

Windows Vista is expected to be made available in the following editions:
    Starter Edition - Lacks Aero UI, Rolodex, Tab previews, and Taskbar previews. Supports a single 32-bit processor and 256 MB of RAM. Resolution limited to 1024 x 768.
    Home Basic Edition - Same UI restrictions as Starter, although the resolution is not limited. Adds support for a single 32 or 64-bit processor and 8GB of memory on x64.
    Home Premium Edition - Adds DVD authoring, Movie Maker HD publishing, Photography features, Premium games (3D Chess, Shanghai Solitaire etc), Integrated Media Center functionality & the ability to act as a Media Center Extender, Tablet PC functionality, support for auxiliary displays, added mobility-oriented features. and the ability to join "Home Domains" (but not Active Domains). Supports up to 16GB of memory on x64.
    Professional / N - Adds Microsoft Windows Web Server, Windows Fax client and Active Directory support. Adds dual 32 or 64-bit processor support alongside support for up to 128GB of memory on x64. N Editions will not include WMP.
    Small Business - ?
    Enterprise - Adds the Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) and single-session Virtual PC as optional installs and 'Cornerstone' Secure Startup technology
    Ultimate - Adds the Media Center functionality of Home Premium Edition that the other business oriented editions lack.

This info is from http://www.mikeshardware.co.uk/RoadmapQ406.htm. I should note the rest of that page eludes to the fact it was written in late November, so some info may have changed.

Default Re: vista

what the hell is a HOME domain?

I imagine workgroups, or home networks. Share their IP through a router, i really don't know.

Speaking of vista, how can I make a new partition on my existing hard drive? I basically want to install vista on the same hard drive I'm using right now but make a new partiton so window sees my drive as two drives. Thanks.
    My System:
    -AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Manchester Em4 Revision
    -Abit KN8-ULTRA
    -X800GTO2 @ X850XT PE (16 pipelines)
    -1024MB PQI TURBO DDR 400 @ (2x512) Dual Channel
    -450W Heavy Duty Rosewill Powersupply
    -Samsung Syncmaster 940BF>>>NEW
    -Seagate 250GB 16MB cache (perpendicular recording) with NCQ...

Quote Originally Posted by CColtManM View Post
    I imagine workgroups, or home networks. Share their IP through a router, i really don't know.
    If that is the case then any version will support a simple home network, even if it is ported through a router or hub.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIGGER View Post
    Speaking of vista, how can I make a new partition on my existing hard drive? I basically want to install vista on the same hard drive I'm using right now but make a new partiton so window sees my drive as two drives. Thanks.
    Unless you are willing to reinstall Windows and make multiple partitions the proper way, you will need to get a third party utility like Partition Magic or something similar to create a new partition in the free space of your drive. Be forewarned, however, that these utilities can be terribly destruction and blow out the current partition. That said, make sure that you have backed up ALL important data before attempting to do this.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

thanks guys. my dad is in love with domains so set one up in our house. believe me, they exist and theyre gay.
    My Rig;
    Mobo: MSI P7N SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0,OC'd to 2.7Ghz
    RAM: 4Gb DDR2 900Mhz, 4-4-4-12 (GeIL)
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb x2, RAID 0
    Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    PSU: Antec Neo HE 550
    GFX: 2 x Zotac 8800GT AMP Edition in SLI
    Case: Antec 900
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead (Anarchy Red)
    Keyboard: Logitech Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    If that is the case then any version will support a simple home network, even if it is ported through a router or hub.

Unless you are willing to reinstall Windows and make multiple partitions the proper way, you will need to get a third party utility like Partition Magic or something similar to create a new partition in the free space of your drive. Be forewarned, however, that these utilities can be terribly destruction and blow out the current partition. That said, make sure that you have backed up ALL important data before attempting to do this.
    Alright, I'm a little too lazy right now to re-install windows, but thanks for the help Darth.
    My System:
    -AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Manchester Em4 Revision
    -Abit KN8-ULTRA
    -X800GTO2 @ X850XT PE (16 pipelines)
    -1024MB PQI TURBO DDR 400 @ (2x512) Dual Channel
    -450W Heavy Duty Rosewill Powersupply
    -Samsung Syncmaster 940BF>>>NEW
    -Seagate 250GB 16MB cache (perpendicular recording) with NCQ...

Quote Originally Posted by TRIGGER View Post
    btw vista needs a minimum of 20 G to stop complaining when installing

the best way is to get a second HD, most bios's will let you change which HD is booting from - its best to disconnect the first HD first thou, otherwise it will affect/be affected by the vista install.

I believe the ultimate boot cd has a freeware utility that can do the job http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Default Re: Vista

Okay, my questions are these:

1. What edition are able to take advantage of AMD dual cores?

2. How will my applications be affected, especially games?

3. Is Vista more stable?

4. Is Vista slower?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information