Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't kill Norton Live up-date I think.

Default Can't kill Norton Live up-date I think.

I recently purchased a new PC. An Acer model. It came with Windows XP Media Center. Also came with Norton AV.

I activated Norton and began to notice it was doing a Live update even though this function was turned off. The live update would download from 1M to 2.5M every time I log in. With me being on dialup this REAAAALLLLY slows me down.

So I went into Norton and turned off all functions. It still did it.
    I uninstalled Norton and Live update. It still did it.
    I downloaded the program to uninstall and ran it. It still did it.
    I Googled for how to remove all files. Followed some instructions I found which including changing the registry. It still did it.
    I found that the included IE browser had a Yahoo toolbar which included a pop-up blocker that had the little shield on the button which matched the little shield that would come up in the active tray during the down load. So I uninstalled the toolbar. It still does it.

Can some one PLEASE tell me how to get this function to shut down.

It is driving me crazy. Tonight it downloaded over 4M of something.

Any help would be greatly welcome.

Default Re: Can't kill Norton Live up-date I think.

O.K. so now you have no antivirus program and you have an unknown program downloading things onto your computer? Not good. Is it possibly the Windows XP security sheild that you see at the bottom of the screen? Could it be that the downloads are actually Windows updates? Try going into "control panel" ---> "security center" and see if "automatic updates" is turned on.

I would look at installing some form of antivirus protection ASAP. If you are unhappy with Norton you may want to look at AVG or Avast! as they are both free and use less resources than Norton.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I intend to run a AV. Got to get Norton off first. When I did the uninstall it said live update was running. The little icon in the tray during the download looks like the live update from norton. It's a little yellow shield.

Once I stop Norton from downloading I will install AVG.

You can also go to start - run - "configsys" enter

Then go to the far right tab and deselect all the norton garbage.

Thanks for everyones help.

It wound up being windows automatic update.

Turned that off and no more downloads.

That sucks. Went through all of that and all I had to do was flip a damn switch.

Thanks PrairieDawg.

That is why you dont buy a pre-built PC among other reasons.
    Mobo...............Asus P5N-SLI (NF570)
    RAM................2 GB Kingston DDR2/667 CL5
    GPU................Evga e-GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
    CPU................Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB L2
    HDD................Hitachi 160 GB IDE
    Disk Drive.........Sony DVD+-RW 16x IDE
    PSU................BFG 650W (on sale for 80$, 80$off!!)
    OS..................Windows XP Home SP2
    Sound card......Sound Blaster x-FI xtreme music
    Overclocked somewhat w/Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
    other info: saitek eclipse red backlit keyboard
    cheap micro innovations wireless optical mouse
    logitech x-530 speakers (5.1)
    18" viewable KDS CRT monitor (I'll upgrade when it dies)
    about 8 80MM fans and I sleeved most of the cables
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

No problem sw9m. Glad it worked.

buhweet, I'm curious as to what you think this problem has to do with prebuilt PCs vs custom built? All versions of XP with SP2 have the security sheild thing. In addition to that I fail to see why you think everyone wants/needs a custom built PC. Mass produced computers are where most of us start and are what most computer users stay with. Not everyone has the interest, knowledge, or time to make PC building a hobby. Most people just want to open the box and use the darn thing. Nothing wrong with that either.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

I only was talking about the pre-installed AV, sure its good for some people, but it sure is annoying to me to have an intrusive AV, I dont even have one as it is, and my firewall is down.
    Mobo...............Asus P5N-SLI (NF570)
    RAM................2 GB Kingston DDR2/667 CL5
    GPU................Evga e-GeForce 7900GTO 512MB
    CPU................Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB L2
    HDD................Hitachi 160 GB IDE
    Disk Drive.........Sony DVD+-RW 16x IDE
    PSU................BFG 650W (on sale for 80$, 80$off!!)
    OS..................Windows XP Home SP2
    Sound card......Sound Blaster x-FI xtreme music
    Overclocked somewhat w/Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro
    other info: saitek eclipse red backlit keyboard
    cheap micro innovations wireless optical mouse
    logitech x-530 speakers (5.1)
    18" viewable KDS CRT monitor (I'll upgrade when it dies)
    about 8 80MM fans and I sleeved most of the cables
    It would be quiet but I have 1 noisy Vantek that blows like a turbine. A crappy generic case which with cammo paint and holes all over.

Operating with out an antivirus and firewall huh? Great way to share and spread viruses throughout the net. Good luck with that.

That's why i like my NOD32. It uses virtually no resources, only pops up when it updates itself (with a ballon) or when there is a real problem, and use my Windows Firewall with exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information