Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP 64 Install Problems

Default XP 64 Install Problems

I've been trying a fresh install of XP 64 on an Abit An8 Ultra, AMD X2 3800+ CPU (using a DVD-CD combo burner) with 1 GB of Ultra Memory to a 200 GB WD SATA Hard drive. There's a PNY PC express Nvidia GeForce 6600 vid card and no other cards so far. It loads the first two phases of the usual Windows drivers etc., then, after the white line goes by and the first XP screen appears, when it's time to boot the stuff from the HDD/CD and complete the rest of the installation, I get BSOD with error messages. I looked into the error messages but basically that wasn't very helpful. Is there something special about using an SATA drive or might it be that I need to F6 something into the system before it boots? I don't know where to go with this. I was thinking of using a regular drive, not SATA, smaller size, to see if maybe that's the problem. Could it be the Memory chip? Any help much appreciated.

Default Re: XP 64 Install Problems

Are you loading the proper drivers for the SATA controller of the motherboard (and yes, this is done via the F6 menu when the install initially begins)? If you don't have it handy you will need to download it from the motherboard manufacturer and copy it to a floppy disk. Windows XP does not natively support SATA drives, but if you later decide to move to Vista, it does and no F6 drivers are required.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

My XP SP2 CD natively supports all current popular SATA controllers. Not sure if it's just the image I have, or SP2, but it's really easy to get the XP CD to support SATA without needing drivers from a floppy. A current version of XP 64 may very well support his controller from the start. It usually won't get recognize the drive in the installer if it doesn't. It doesn't seem likely that it has a bad driver for his controller and it's causing a BSOD.

Depending on the error, it may be more helpful than you realize. What error were you getting?

As far as hardware goes, you could run the system through memtest86+ and get a utility from WD that will allow you to test the drive for faults, bad sectors, and corrupted data.

All that said, it's possible a bad SATA drive cold cause this. Make a boot disc of the latest x64 version of your SATA controller's drivers.

I found out last night that with my version of XP sp1 that I needed the SATA drivers installed for my new Asus M2N-E SLI board or the same thing happens. Took me awhile to figure it out but I got it. Just follow Darthtanion's info and life will be good again.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thanks for the replies. I eventually booted to an older IDE HDD but the SATA was perfect physically, so it must have been the controller driver problem that was causing the BSOD when I was trying to install the XP.

Thread Information