Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question on vista disk management?

Default Question on vista disk management?

I have an external hard drive that will be used for backup. I am not used to the vista management and have a question. In the little box on the left it says Disk 5 Basic Online.
    If I right click on it it brings up the box that says convert to dynamic disk and below that convert to GPT disk or MBR disk. On the other box to the right (the long one) if I right click it says New Simple Volume. Anyone care to tell me which to choose? Thanks.
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Default Re: Question on vista disk management?

Dynamic Disk - Stay as far away from this as humanly possible. It is about the poorest excuse for a partitioning method as I have ever seen. It also becomes proprietary to that machine and if you need to port the data from a dead system you will likely fail. Even when examining a drive as potential evidence I dread finding a dynamic disk.

GPT (GUID Partition Table) - This is a new method of partitioning a drive that Microsoft has come up with and while it looks good on paper, I haven't had the opportunity to play with it yet so can't say how well it works and how stable the directory structures for the [FAT/MBR/whatever they're gonna call it now] really are. The biggest advantage MS is pushing is that it can support more than 4 partitions on a single physical device without having to go to an Extended Partition.

MBR (Master Boot Record) - This is the standard method of partitioning a drive that is tried and true. Unless you have plans on creating a huge number of partitions on a single drive, I would use this on your primary drive or any drive that stores data that is important to you. If you want to play around with the GPT, I would recommend using a drive that you can play with and won't matter if the data gets corrupted.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information