Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP vs overclocking

Well I decided to upgrade my recently built machine from Win98 to XP Pro. Setup encountered 1 hitch in needing RAID drivers although the friggin OS tells me later that the drivers I have are newer than what it has. Why stop the setup without the drivers if you already have them??

Anyway, that was it. Dual boot and all. 2 issues arose after the install. 1) Can't see the server and 2). Playing games for an undetermined time results in a Stop x0A. Oh joy!!

1). Haven't fixed it yet, altho I did map a drive to \\192.168.244.129 (server address). Never could find \\server or \\Server or \\SERVER. I did install NetBui and made sure I was in the right group, etc.

2). This one got me for quite some time. I checked and rechecked every driver I had to make sure they were all signed or certified by Microsoft. It ended up being fixed when I flashed a new BIOS or when I reset all memory tweaks to safe. No more Stop errors:-) Seems XP is a bit twitchy when it comes to overclocking (hmmm....I wonder if Intel paid Microsoft to put a governor on AMD).

Windows 98 has no problems whatsoever with me tweaking the BIOS. I even tweaked my Ti500 card to exceed the new geForce 4! I can't install Leadtek's new XP utility, so there goes tweaking the video card for now.

Patrick

Win2k and XP are much more hardware sensative, so, yes, you probably will not get as high of an overclock as you did under 98.

I agree with Morgan... for instance when the Northwood Pentium 4's first came out all the PC's in the top 10 overclocks were running Windows ME :confused:

Anything based on the Windows NT kernel is optimised for stability, not outright speed, so overclocking can't be pursued as aggressively I'm afraid :(
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Thread Information