Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can I delete the page file?

Default Can I delete the page file?

I have heard and read that putting your page file on another hard drive will help. I have done that for several reasons but now I want to know how I can or if I can delete the left over page file that is on the c drive where it originated. I have a page file for hdd F in place. This is vista os.
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Default Re: Can I delete the page file?

Being familiar with XP .ini files I can say it would be all right to do this, but I'm not sure with Vista. It should be safe to do so but I'd wait for someone with a bit more knowledge with this new OS.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

If you were to delete the page file, you'll need alot of RAM since the pagefile is the virtual memory file when your RAM runs out. I've read in a PC magazine you can delete the page file[s], BUT ull need alot of RAM to do so, maybe 3-4GB. IF you do have a old computer you can test it on there.

Quote Originally Posted by randomness View Post
    If you were to delete the page file, you'll need alot of RAM since the pagefile is the virtual memory file when your RAM runs out. I've read in a PC magazine you can delete the page file[s], BUT ull need alot of RAM to do so, maybe 3-4GB. IF you do have a old computer you can test it on there.
    The page file still exists but has been created on another drive. The question is for removing the original one still residing on the C:\ drive.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

A discrete point in the space-time continuum...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    The page file still exists but has been created on another drive. The question is for removing the original one still residing on the C:\ drive.
    Some apps, like Adobe Photoshop (from what I hear tell @ least, don't use it myself) will get "upset" & complain you don't have enough virtual memory IF a pagefile.sys is not present.

Adobe Photoshop, afaik & for instance? Controls its OWN threadwork & processors detected usage as well, & does NOT rely on/stress the Process Scheduler portion of the OS as far as thread-to-CPU usage (where a thread of execution runs, which CPU)... so, it would NOT surprise me they also do much of their OWN memory allocation & control also, @ a virtual memory level (all memory is REALLY virtual, as far as our modern Windows NT-based OS' are concerned though).

----

AS TO PAGEFILE.SYS LOCATIONS:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SessionManager|MemoryManagement|\PagingFiles

That area of the registry controls it!

Here, you can do it, graphically:

Control Panel/System/Advanced tab/Performance
    Settings/Advanced/Virtual memory

Just posting this material as a reference here is all.

----

Back on track - NOW, IF you do the deletion of a permanent pagefile.sys (does not matter even if you moved it to another diskdrive (or, as I do, to a solid-state Ramdrive partition (CENATEK RocketDrive user here))?

AND, you don't typically use applications that load up so much initially they don't fit into your available RAM??

(Which is pretty doubtful as to it happening nowadays FROM THE APP ITSELF BEING TOO BIG)

I say that, mainly because apps can call functions from prebuilt libs (DLL's usually, or ActiveX controls etc.) & ONLY load the portion of them they need (either via LoadLibrary/UnloadLibrary Win32 API calls OR @ program startup, instancing ALL of its forms).

HOWEVER, apps do NOT load the whole lib mass, & typically, ONLY load the functions needed from a DLL load right into the calling apps' own address space).

Executables PAGE BACK TO THEMSELVES, the backing .exe (1 type) on disk & NOT THE PAGEFILE.SYS!

(Plus, a well-designed app ONLY loads forms into memory, as needed & unloads them when the user is done using them))...

Anyhow/anyways - WELL, for the most part?

You'll be OK, until that app possibly loads in a dataset that exceeds available memory/RAM.

That's when the pagefile.sys actually gets used:

WITH DATA APPS USE!

BUT, if you have data that is "HUGE" (purely a relative term)?

That's when your pagefile.sys comes into play, the most.

I got into this with another person on another forums, & we analyzed the heck out of it... more than a decade ago in fact, iirc.

E.G. -> Taskmgr.exe was showing pagefaulting like MAD (in its PROCESSES TAB with ALL columns present/possible being shown for analysis purposes), & especially on EXPLORER.EXE (your desktop shell & filemgt. tool).

I.E.-> I could NOT figure it out, until I realized that .exe files page back to their originating backing file on disk, rather than the pagefile.sys file... because we set his system to NOT use a pagefile.sys & also NO "temp pagefile" formed where it was supposed to (see my P.S. below).

Was a real "refresher course" study, years ago, doing that experiment in fact on the mechanics of Windows' virtual memory mgt. in action.

APK

P.S.=> A temporary pagefile.sys forms in %SystemRoot%\System32 though IF one is NOT present though, typically, so keep that in mind as wellm & it's called temppf.sys there in %windir%\system32... apk

Thread Information