Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can I give buddy a copy of my WinXP CD?

Default Can I give buddy a copy of my WinXP CD?

My buddy has a Dell computer running WinXP Pro. He asked me to reinstall the OS however he does not have the installation CD. Would it be OK to use my own CD and use he's Product Key?

Default Re: Can I give buddy a copy of my WinXP CD?

Yes, as long as he has a valid license for the OS being installed he can use your disk. However...

Most Dell "Recovery disks" will install the OS with the drivers necessary for YOUR computer, so unless he has the identical machine, you could run into problems. Just something to consider.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

In a spark of curiosity, is it legal to download a copy of Windows Vista on the internet (read: BitTorrent) and burn it to DVD, but when installing it to my laptop use the product key slapped on my laptop's HDD caddy?

In my sense, it is legal, since I use the product key that is really licensed to me.

Kinda lost my recovery disk... Sorry M$ and Acer.

Perfectly legal? Probably not, but I have not heard of MS going stupid if you have a valid license. I think their main concern is that you have paid for the Windows you are using. Media is secondary as a rule. Besides, I have downloaded copies of XP with the different service packs slipstreamed, but I use my properly obtained product key when installing. Of course, I purchased it under Microsoft's volume licensing scheme, so I may be in a different situation, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Unless the hard drives have been reformated then you guys with mass produced PCs may still have a "restore partition" hidiing on your hard drive. Try CTRL+F11 on boot with the Dell and ALT+F10 or CTRL+F10 with the Acer. This should work on newer systems. If it doesn't then you may want to Google with the model number and the words "restore patition" to see if I missed the correct combination.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

so it's ok?

Your license is the code on the system, not the CD. The CD that Dell uses is generic and will work on almost any system. It will require a valid OEM code to activate within 30 days. You are safe since you are not pirating an activation code.

Thread Information