Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Quad Core & Windows XP Pro

Default Quad Core & Windows XP Pro

I'm getting ready to do a build witha Quad Core and want to use XP OS but I've heard that the Quad Core requires two XP licenses. Is this true?

Default Re: Quad Core & Windows XP Pro

No mate, it is not true, there is no requirement for two licences to run a Core2Quad. (unless you are referring to using the same licence from a previous build on the new build at the same time. i.e. One licence on two pc's. One licence per pc as per the Microsoft EULA)

Cheers.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by ANZAC_ELITE View Post
    No mate, it is not true, there is no requirement for two licences to run a Core2Quad. (unless you are referring to using the same licence from a previous build on the new build at the same time. i.e. One licence on two pc's. One licence per pc as per the Microsoft EULA)

Cheers.
    I'm a bit green... will I get the most out of the Quad using XP? My belief is that XP only sees two processors.

Additionally, will XP with a Quad see more memory that 3+ GB?

I've not played with the quad core processors so I cannot say how many cores Windows will recognize, but I have seen a lot of folks running XP instead of Vista on their Quad setups.

As for the memory, you will need a 64-bit operating system to utilize more than 3GB of memory. 100 cores won't help, it is a bottleneck of the OS.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Termite007 View Post
    I'm a bit green... will I get the most out of the Quad using XP? My belief is that XP only sees two processors.
    XP will "see" all four cores no worries (your cpu is actually 2x dual cores on the same die as opposed to a true quad core so you have two processors which is four cores) the problem lies in the software, there just isn't that many programmes out there that have been written to use all four cores, multi tasking is about as close as you're going to get at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Termite007 View Post
    Additionally, will XP with a Quad see more memory that 3+ GB?
    It will but it also will only report 3.25 or there abouts, it is as Darthtanion says below, it's all to do with the way 32bit operating systems address memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    As for the memory, you will need a 64-bit operating system to utilize more than 3GB of memory. 100 cores won't help, it is a bottleneck of the OS.
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 01-05-2008 at 03:56 AM.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Does Windows XP Pro 64 bit OS use more than 3+ GB of memory? I'm not ready for Vista yet.

Any 64bit os will utlilse more than 3.25GB of memory, I'm not to sure how XP Pro 64bit is situated for drivers, it might pay to ensure there are 64bit drivers for your hardware before purchasing.

Most reports on Vista 64bit seem to be good of late with better drivers emerging now the developers have started paying more attention to them.

I'm still waiting for SP1 myself though.

Cheers.

MS licenses its OS based on physical CPU"S - it doesn't matter how cores are on that CPU, so you could get a dual CPU mboard and put 2 quad cores and be fully licensed

however if your going quad core to get the most out of it, I'd go for kernal designed to handle more the CPU - xp isn't really since when it was designed it was very rare for people to have more than one CPU, however vista was designed in the era of multiple CPU's

Thread Information