Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How do I tripple boot with 2 harddisks?

I have two computers: one is win98/winXP dual boot and the other is a stand-alone win2000. I would like to take the harddrive from the win2000 PC and put it in my other PC to tripple boot. Is that possible? How do I set the winXP or win2000 boot loader.

My failed attempt:
    I had the the win98/winXP harddrive as the master and win2000 as slave. I edited the winXP boot loader as so:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

I spent several hours last night trying to make it work only to fail and I had to reinstall win2000 because it would not load once I returned it back to it's original PC.

Do I need to reinstall win2000 since I'm connecting it to new hardware?

To answer the last question first, most definitely. When Windows installs, it loads itself with drivers for your current hardware configuration. A fresh load is going to be vital to getting an error-free OS going.

As to the triple boot scheme, I don't know why you'd want both Win2k AND WinXP, but if you install from oldest to newest, then you shouldn't have any real problems to deal with. Just tell each OS where you want it installed to and you should be fine.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information