Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Blank Desktop

Default Blank Desktop

I have WinXP Home SP2 with an Athlon 64 X2 and a gig of memory and plenty of HD space. when I go to MY VIDEOS folder and try to open a large video file I get a message that MSIE has to close and I am left with a blank screen except for the background graphic. The only way I have been able to get back to a normal desktop is to reboot. I was not using MSIE at the time. Any ideas? thanks, Bob

Default Re: Blank Desktop

Have you double checked your file association for the media type to make certain the proper program is being used to open these files? Just a thought.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Just a tip so you dont have to reboot always. Windows Key + R then Type Explorer and hit ok. If that does not open then RUN I mean you can do it this way As well. Just ctrl + alt +del and in In taskmager at the top choose file, new task (Run) then the same, type explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcoop103 View Post
    I have WinXP Home SP2 with an Athlon 64 X2 and a gig of memory and plenty of HD space. when I go to MY VIDEOS folder and try to open a large video file I get a message that MSIE has to close and I am left with a blank screen except for the background graphic. The only way I have been able to get back to a normal desktop is to reboot. I was not using MSIE at the time. Any ideas? thanks, Bob
    You may not think that you were using MSIE but it's not just a web brower as Windows requires MSIE running just to see your desktop.
    I'll go along with Darthtanion's suggestion 1st but supplying full system details could be of help also.

I probably should have been more explicit, It's not just opening the files I have tried to save the files to another disk but whatever I try to do such as copy, highlight or any task the screen goes blank, and thanks to Lsdmeasap about not having to reboot but the problem still persists. I have uninstalled & reinstalled MSIE 7 with no change, any info would be greatly appreciated, Bob

Sounds as if you may have picked up a bug. Can you connect your hard drive via external enclosure to another system and see if the files open properly> If so, then you have something on your main box that is keeping your system from operating properly. If this ends up being the problem, you can try to use AdAware or Spybot to address the problem, or you can do a fresh install and do the job right.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information