Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Windows Explorer has stopped working" problem

Default Re: "Windows Explorer has stopped working" problem

[IMG][/IMG]]

ohh maybe a bit tiny >:

Last edited by Meewseh; 08-22-2008 at 02:48 PM.

its a self burned one... no it never asks for it >:

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh ok. Looks like you are all good there anyway. It would only ask if you had missing files, which it looks as if you do not

Do you have all the latest Vista updates? If not can you please go install them

What caused this to start, do you have a idea? Like did you just recently install something new or remove something?

Have you tried chkdsk?

If not open a cmd window again and type the following, yes to all it asks and reboot >>>
    chkdsk /x /f /r
    Or If you like I could send you a good working explorer, provided you are using a English Vista. I have SP1 and SP0 files I could send you if you can use them

Have you tried using system restore at all? If not give that a shot, use a restore point from when you think it was working correctly

You can aslo try Last known good config, have you tried this? When your PC starts start tapping F8 until you see the safe mode, ect, last known good config menu. Choose last known good config (Same as you likely used to see in XP)

You also have this Microsoft option >>>
    In Windows Vista, you can use the following method to perform an In-place Upgrade installation. This installation is similar to the repair installation in Windows XP. It only reinstalls system files and does not affect other files. However, we must logon the original Windows Vista system to perform this In-place Upgrade installation. We cannot boot from the Windows Vista installation disk to initiate the installation.

1. Start the computer.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Note: We may need to reactivate the system after the upgrade.

hmm ill give that chkdsk /x /f /r first... ye ive done win restore and that
    ill try that 1 and come back to you thanks for all the help so far

Anytime, Hope I can get you fixed up. Do you use English Vista? If so I can send you a working explorer file keep that in mind

What started this? I see you mentioned clean ups, often times programs actually cause the problems. Especially if you are using Registry programs without full knowledge of what they are doing or what you are deleting.

Worse comes to worse you can always do a reinstall over the install you have now. All your files will be kept in a folder called Windows.old and you can get what you need out of it and then delete the folder

Ye sdo that checkdisc thing took some time and meanwhile i completely burned in the sofa in front of the olympics. Recently woke up not that chocked since I had slept 2h for almost 36hours.

Very well same problem still. Im using english vista so ye I could take the files from you sometime I guess. As long as you guide me through how I replace the old ones ^^ Since part of why im sitting here is cuz I cant copy files from folder to folder without windows explorer to crash =P.

Anyways now I need food!

Im always forgetting something.. As for what may have started this it's not the cleanups.
    I tried this long after the problem occured. I've uninstalled some games I added recently but nothing new there..

Hey guess what I discovered! I had a emulation of Heroes of Might and Magic 5 mounted in magic disc/daemontools. This is a game I quite recently tried to install but was unsuccesfull cuz I couldn't crack it propertly with out win.exe crashing on me.. Should have thought about this soooo much earlier..
    Managed somehow to forget all about it until I wanted to give my self a break and play something... tt jeez. Very well I uninstalled the crap threw away the iso and unmounted magic disc/daemon. For now it seems to be working! I tested to copy some files between various locations and its working like before... I hope this was it. If anything else pops up or I keep getting win.exe crashes I get back to you. Not gonna be home tonight but I will check it tomorrow.. So cheers on you Lsd and btw LsdMEasap! :P

* Ohh and the weird part is that system restore didn't hlp.. It doesn't uninstall the things installed between the period from which you choose restore from I guess?
    Personally I think restoring should mean that it fixes everything new between the choosen points.. screw documents and installs.. Rather have it just the way it was. Then again I'm certainly not a star at these kind of issues so it might be some other way to do it.

<3 Meew
    Last edited by Meewseh; 08-23-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Ahh nice to see you got somewhere with it!

If you still need my explorer let me know when you get back and I can post you one then

I use UltraISO to mount, maybe you should try that!

so I'm back home.. well it seems to be resolved who knows =P
    Maybe best to do nothing for now and see how it proceeds. Can always find my way back to you else wise ;D

// Meew

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information