Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP update problems

Default Re: Windows XP update problems

Thanks a bunch, i'll give it a try tomorrow when i get off work :D

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeap, anytime.

I thought a picture might help ya better, should have posted for you before!!! I am sorry, I forgot about XP offering you access to the Repair console before the part I was talking about, so I see why you got the password questions and all that!

Sorry, hadn't used XP in going on 1 1/2 years now, it is slipping past me. Luckily I keep a few installs of ALL systems in Vmware so I can help users with most any issue

Good luck, and be sure to post back if you have anymore issues with it, or post back with the good news

Well, I've got the repair install completed, now i'm just working on MS installations. Hopefully I don't run into any problems. So far, everything looks good.
    I will keep you posted.

Just remember to install the Drivers last, sometimes they cause install issues. Also be sure to choose Custom at windows updates and install the additional other non critical updates. You will see some drivers there likely, dont check them until your last time around installing updates.

My first attempt was to install SP2, is that a good move? It seems like it was not because I got another "access denied" error....i'll work on it again tomorrow...i'm going to bed.

Hmm well it should have installed fine. That hard drive may be dying, I have seen dying drives give access denied/ Permission Errors (Really)

Hmm, Maybe you should slipstream SP2 onto a install disk, but for me to tell you hwo to do that is a whole nother thread! HAHA

So, how did you attempt this? Thru MS updates or just by using the SP2 installer? If just the installer then the answer could be simply you need the Windows installer that MS updates gives you.

What I would have done is just installed XP, And went right to MS updates and install everything from there

I did try to install through MS updates.
    The disc worked fine and installed SP1 onto my computer. I went to MS Update and they told me to first install SP2 so I tried that, waited around for what seems like forever, and then finally when it got near the end of the install, i get 'access denied' and it undid most of the installation, but when it finished it said "xp was not fully installed and may not function properly" or something to that effect.

There were like 58 other things I need to install also, should I try those and then try to install SP2? Would that possibly make a difference?

Yeah, it could. I hate how there is no order to MS updates, like it will try to install sometimes .Net Framework 2 before 1

What you can do, is skip SP1 altogether, SP2 includes all Sp1 updates, so XP >> SP2 >> Sp3 is all you need to do. Or you can also Do SP1 >>> SP3

But you cannot do XP >> SP3......SP1 or SP2 is needed before SP3

And since you said SP1 installed fine I would just install SP3 with the SP3 installer >>>
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Is it giving you a error # when it does error? Just wondering because that can often help
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-31-2008 at 02:18 PM.

When I get about halfway through installation, i get an error message, it then rolls back all my progress. It deletes the new files and copies the old ones back. Here are the error messages I get when trying to install SP2:
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows XP update problems-sp2_error1-bmp 

And:
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows XP update problems-sp2_error2-bmp 

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information