Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP update problems

Default Re: Windows XP update problems

...and finally...
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows XP update problems-sp2_error3-jpg 

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would try once more to install in safe mode, with networking if you do not have the SP2 installer. Or try SP3 in safe mode, skipping SP2, which you do not need since you have SP1 installed

Or Try this if that fails >>
    You receive an error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1: "Access is denied"

And if that fails as well, here is a similar fix, but users state a different key/keys to change
    Solved: XP Service Pack 2 Install - Access Denied - Tech Support Guy Forums

Also fix is here, midway thru there is a link to a thread and how to make a command file from the text
    Service Pack 2 “Access Denied” error message at Random Fix - Computer Help

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but after reading some of what you just linked me to, it may very well be related. I tried to get msn messenger working on this computer again (it has also been causing me problems) and I came up with this error message during the install:
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows XP update problems-messenger_error-jpg 

Ya, it sounds like the XP original Setup, and the CD from which it came has some permission issues. Likely because it is such a old CD and newer ones have the issue fixed.

Ya know, if you have your OWN XP cd that has SP2 already on it you can use that to install with and just use your parents key. You will likely have to call to reactivate but that isnt a big deal, takes about 5 minutes.

If you cant do that, I would suggest you do some of the fixes mentioned in the above links

I do not have my XP CD, I actually bought my laptop from someone and they had lost the CD...argh.
    I'll try a few things from the links above. I just tried the microsoft suggestion of running again and then finding what in the registry is giving me problems. It said it was .audiocd, so i went and checked permission on it and both of the boxes were checked, so i think the computer is just messed up. It's old, and it's not a very nice piece of hardware. I think i'm just gonna system restore it to how it was and hope it lives for a decent amount of time. That is, unless you can think of a suggestion about the media plug-in error i got when trying to upgrade msn messenger.

Na, I dunno. Unless I was over there it is getting pretty deep into things.

You can try this, I made for you from the last link up there.

First install this >>
    Download details: SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)

Then Download this file and unzip it then save or copy the file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools folder >>>
    reset.zip - DivShare

Once you have the file there, double click on it. Note the folder will not be there till you install the above first. It will take SOME time to run, depending on the hardware

This will give whatever user you are using FULL permissions for everything. Reboot when it is done
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.

wow...awesome thanks. I'll try to give it a shot tomorrow, but for now, i'm gonna head off. I will keep you posted with what happens tomorrow.

On a side note, I looked for that "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE...." on the regedit and found it. I tried to give myself permission to use it, but ran into all sorts of problems. If you think screenshots would help you understand the problem and the above links you just gave me don't work, do you think that could give you another idea or two?

Well if the above two files do not work I really think that XP install disk is crap, or your disk is dying. Wanna run HDdlife on it and see what it's health is? >>>
    HDDlife - real-time hard-drive monitoring utility with alerts, malfunction protection and data loss prevention functions. This hard-drive inspector is a proactive hard drive failure detection system that controls 100% of hard-drive risks.

But even if the XP disk you have is bad, the above cmd file I made should take care of all that. And again I would say skip SP2, go right to SP3 since you have Sp1 installed

I just ran HDD LIfe and it says my health status is "OK" (58%) and my performance is "Excellent" (58%) so I guess this might not be the problem?

I downloaded subinacl and then reset.zip, but when i ran reset.zip from the destination you gave me, it just flashed on the screen and then seemed to instantly be done. Perhaps I didn't properly install subinacl, but i'll reboot my computer next chance i get and see if anything is fixed.

Well it is in my eyes, 58% is a F in any school!

Yes, you must install subinacl first, then reboot (May not be needed, the reboot that is) and then copy the cmd file directly into the folder I mentioned above. Just the file itself not inside a separate folder. And yes a flash is Way to fast, it should take a long time(At the very least a few minutes) and you will see plenty of scrolling like so>>>

So your files should look like this in the Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools folder folder before you run the cmd >>>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information