Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP update problems

Default Re: Windows XP update problems

I think i see my mistake. I don't think i put subinacl in the same folder as reset. I will do that next time i'm on the desktop and see what comes of it.
    If I get a flash across the screen like the last time i tried, I will try to get a screenshot to see if there's an error message on there or something.
    I agree that there's no way 58% should be "excellent"...i know if i got a 58% on my biology exams, i'd be pretty pissed lol.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You INSTALL Subinacl, then it creates the folder I showed you a image of, then you put the cmd file into that folder

Yeah, it will just flash on any system for a second or two and that is it. If the cmd file is in the wrong spot and or subinacl is not installed.

I think we're in business. The cmd file is running well as I see many things scrolling quickly and occassionally it will go to a red box at the top with failed/error keys and it will look like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images Windows XP update problems-subinacl-jpg 

So once this is done, I reboot the computer and try to install SP2 or 3 again?
    (apparently SP3 is not a necessary download, so i could stick with SP2 I think)

SP3 is what I would install, it contains SP2 plus all the updates you plan to install after SP2 anyway.

Hmm, hope all goes well, never seen any red before!!!

Oh, I got plenty of red like the above, but so far, so good. I have been able to download the newest version of msn messenger when before i got a locked key error and SP2 installed no problem. I probably should have done three, but i already had 2 downloaded and just needed to install it and i couldn't wait to see if it actually worked.
    I'll be sure to holler back if anything runs amok, but for now I think i can say thanks so much for sticking with me on this epic computer problem. lol I definitely couldn't have done it without you.

Awesome! Glad to see you got it done even with the RED errors!!

Ya, when ya get time you should grab SP3 anyway to make your parents PC more secure for when you are not around to do fixes. And for sure put it on Automatic updates, set to each Tuesday around whatever time you think they most often use the PC. Unless they are on dial up!! Then no automatic updates, just notify me about updates

I say Tuesdays because Microsoft releases patches/updates on the second Tuesday of each month

I doubt this is anything major, but last night when i was using my parents' computer, it was going really slow so i called up the task manager and it was pretty much stuck on 100% usage. I checked the list of processes for anything that did not look right and found what was hogging all my resources. It was called...actually i can't entirely remember it off the top of my head but i think it was like user32dll.exe or something I have never seen this process run on other computers and am wondering if it's a virus, or if it's something necessary to keep the computer running.

It is a valid process, but also can be a virus. It does sometimes use alot, just depends. If it ALWAYS does use up 100% it is likely a virus

I suggest Eset brand security products

Turns out that was just a valid process using all my resources during that one bootup for some reason.

My laptop ran into the same microsoft update problem, so i'm trying the subinacl thing again right now. I'm getting those same red boxes I showed you last time. Very odd.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information