Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP Home Vs. Professional

I was considering upgrading from Win98SE to XP. After cruising through this part of the forum, I have given up that idea! But I was wondering if there is any worthwhile difference between the Home and professional version.

Thx JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

If you're considering dual processors, gotta have XP pro for one. The networking is more advanced in Pro.

I don't remember the whole thing, but there's some items in Pro meant for business that would be a big consideration.

If this is just a gaming rig, probably can get away with Home. Pro would not be a bad choice if you have the cash or can get some sort of student discount.

Something to consider is the networking capabilities - XP Home can only peer to peer network to 5 PC's in total. XP Pro can do 10 peer to peer, unlimited if connected to a server.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

I would be using the system for home use. Primarily gaming and such. No dual processors. Also, don't see myself going over 5 rigs. Only working on #3. M$ will probably have a new OS by the time I get to #5 :laugh: . It sounds like I could just go with the Home Edition, if I ever go into a fit of insanity and buy XP. If I did go with the Prof Edition, would there be a lot of extra stuff that would just be annoying or is it pretty configurable? With all the problems everyone seems to be having with it, it's amazing that so many people think it's so great. :rolleyes2 Oh well to each his own.

Thx JM :afro:

XP pro doesn't have any extra stuff that clogs up your system or makes it different, the main difference is in the network functionality and dual processor support. You'll proably be wasting money getting Pro, stick with Home.

I think the main issue ppl have with XP is software and hardware compatibility. The older the software/hardware, the less likely it is to work properly. eg most older CDR and antivirus progs won't run on XP, as well as alot of older scanners and multifunction printers.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

Old as in a couple years? Or old as in DOS based? :eek:

JM :afro:

The XP CD has a compatability test on it so ya can check both software and hardware before updating your existing os and will report any probs. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Ahhh, Wiggo to the rescue. :laugh: Thanks, Dude. For now I am still resisting the Dark side, but its good info. I am gonna wait and see how the new service pack is recieved when it is released to the general public.

Thx
    JM :afro:

Default Re: XP Home Vs. Professional

My friend I think the biggest drawbacks to the lack of domain support in Home Edition is the corresponding lack of support for group policies. You can configure local policies on a Home Edition computer, but the computer naturally canít obtain group policies during domain logon because it canít be a domain member.

Default Re: XP Home Vs. Professional

Your friend and you should learn how to read post dates. Thread locked.

Thread Information