Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: urgent help needed - major problem after converting from FAT 32 to NTFS

Question urgent help needed - major problem after converting from FAT 32 to NTFS

I don't know if you can help regarding the following problem but, if you can, I really need your help.

Because my PC used to operate with ME and was updated to XP Home, my filing System was FAT 32. Due to the fact that NTFS is a better system, I decided to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS using the XP built-in converter. All went well except for one major problem...after startup and after approx. 5 to 7 minutes, a blue screen appears that reads: "a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer BAD_POOL_HEADER" then the message goes on telling you lots more regarding uninstalling any recent programs etc. (there has been no real recent programs and naturally this error is caused by something to do with the conversion).

I tried rebooting many times and the same problem keeps happening. After
    Approx 5-7 minutes it reverts to the same blue screen message in ALL
    Circumstances..I.e.. If I log on as normal or if I don't log on and don't do
    anything.

NOTE 1: someone suggested the following but it did not help "Switch off Microsoft's indexing service. You can do this by clicking the start button, select "Run", then type "msconfig", then select the "Services" TAB,
    Scroll down to the Indexing Service and Switch it off. Reboot your computer, and good luck - maybe it will work"

NOTE 2: for some reason I am not able to get into Safe Mode now. Any suggestion on how to do that other than the usual way?

NOTE 3: I have approx. 7 minutes from each startup to work on issues that may help fix this problem if anyone has ideas.

If you can help solve this problem it would be very, very much appreciated.

Needless to say, I am able to write to you because I am using my wife's
    computer.

Thank you for your time!

Default Re: urgent help needed - major problem after converting from FAT 32 to NTFS

1- external drive
    2- back up all vital data
    3- reformat the drive as ntfs and start over
    4- NEVER use a conversion utility to change the file system. you just found out how well it works
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: urgent help needed - major problem after converting from FAT 32 to NTFS

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    1- external drive
    2- back up all vital data
    3- reformat the drive as ntfs and start over
    4- NEVER use a conversion utility to change the file system. you just found out how well it works

Spot on! It may be ok on a NON System disk, but if it is a windows drive.....

Always get all needed data off the drive, and do a clean install to the desired File system

I cannot fix the major problem I have (caused by converting FAT 32 to NTFS) and I agree with you both it is best for me to do a clean install of XP. I have two drives (“C” and “E” disks) and have copied all my personal files, programs etc to “E” drive. “C” drive contains everything else including the Operating System.

I have a few questions:

(1) I have an XP Upgrade CD (I used to have ME and upgraded to XP several years ago).
    Is it best to use this CD again or buy a new XP CD and install that?

(2) I gather that if I want to use the XP Upgrade CD then I cannot wipeout everything on “C” drive (is this correct?), but if I do decide to use a new XP CD, is it best to totally wipe out everything on “C” drive before installing XP?

(3) If I do want to wipe out everything on "C" drive. What would you recommend to accomplish this task (a built in utility, a utility I could download from online, a utility I could purchase in a store, or some other means)?

(4) Is it a problem to conduct this clean install if I currently only get 3 minutes before the blue screen appears (i.e. will the XP CD override my blue screen problem)?

(5) Where is it best to get step-by-step instruction on installing XP, or is it very self-explanatory within the CD installation?

(6) IMPORTANT: Is there any way that an install can get buggered (by me not doing it correctly) to the extent that its no longer possible to install XP?

I greatly appreciate your time. Thank you.

1- You can use the XP Upgrade disk but make sure you tell it to install fresh. It should ask you to insert your ME disk at some point during the installation process to verify that you had the previous version, but under no circumstances should you to an "upgrade".

2- Unless you plan on playing around with data recovery tools, you won't have to worry about "wiping" your drive. During the fresh install process you will have the choice of either using the disk space or reformatting it. Choose to reformat the C:\ partition and it will effectively get rid of the old junk. The data is actually still there, but the new operating system will have no roadmap to access it, so it is gone for all practical purposes. If you're paranoid about that, then go buy a wiping program and it will place random 1's and 0's across the entire data area of that partition.

3- As noted above.

4- Unless your hard drive is physically bad, the BSOD will go away when you reinstall. It is my best guess that this will be the case since it worked fine up to the point where you attempted to change the file system. The problem was likely caused by a bad conversion, which changes a MBR to a MFT. When you reformat the drive and start over, the issue should vanish. If it does not, then you have a hardware problem that will need to be addressed.

5- Windows XP was designed for the novice to be able to install it easily. I've done it so many times I can probably do it while sleeping, so you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, just leave the install where it is and get on your wife's machine again and ask your question.

6- If an install goes bad (yes, it can and does happen occasionally), you simply reinstall it again. As long as you have a valid license for the product (seems so since you have an upgrade disk), the worst you will probably face is a possible phone call to Microsoft to activate the OS.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information