Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: All OK now but no Internet Connection, Please advise

Question All OK now but no Internet Connection, Please advise

All problems seem to have been solved (a looong day/night trying tons of things finally paid off...I will make a post to this forum after all is working ok to specify how the prolem was fixed) EXCEPT for one more problem that I need help to solve. I have NO Internet connection. My modem and router are working fine (so is my wife’s PC which is 3 ft. away from mine).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Here is my current status for settings in msconfig:
    <o:p></o:p>
    General Tab<o:p></o:p>

I am using Selective Startup and have a check mark in Process SYSTEM.INI File (so all items are checked under the SYSTEM,INI tab).
    I am using Original BOOT.INI
    I have enabled a few of the programs that I want to run under the Stratup tab.
    WIN.INI Tab <o:p></o:p>

I have all items listed disabled (i.e. not checked)
    BOOT.INI Tab<o:p></o:p>

Nothing checked so all disabled
    Services Tab

Checkmark for only 3 items, as follows:
    DCOM Service Process Launcher
    (under Essential heading it says Yes) – (Under Status it says Running).
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    (under Essential heading it says Yes) - (under Status it says Stopped).

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    (under Essential heading it says Yes) – (under Status it says Running).
    If anyone can suggest what to do to get Internet Connection, I would greatly appreciate it!
    I assume its just some setting or something I have to activate.
    Thank you all for your help.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: All OK now but no Internet Connection, Please advise

Why are you using Selective startup? And why are you in msconfig? I just ask because you do not need to be, and it sounds like someone has taught you some bad PC practices is all.

Please post your full specs, and what type of connection you are trying to make (Like hardwired or wireless)

You likely need to install your chipset drivers is all, then properly add the connection. After you post more info I can better advise you. But I can say again, your issue has nothing to do with nor can be fixed in MsConfig, so no need to be in there. Set to normal

If you have changed this only to add certain things to startup, or disabled let me know which and I will tell you the Proper way to be doing those things

I am hard wired through a Router and Modem (my wife's PC that I am using right now is via the same). My O/S is XP Home with SP3.

I have "Selective Startup" because I have some items in the Startup disabled, also because all items in "Process WIN.INI File" are disabled (because from what I gather they are not required when running XP). Also, I only have a couple running Serives activated.

I was in msconfig because I have just finished getting out of a severe problem with a blue screen error that happened after 3 minutes after every startup. The problem was "dumprep 0-k" which has now been disabled. (I tried to get rid of it totaly but as of yet have not been able to - I gather this certainly is not needed because dumpreg is for the message pop-up "program has encountered an error and must close, to report this error to Microsoft, click send".

I have certain programs I want in Startup, like my antivirus etc. The items in Startup (within msconfig) that are not enabled are:
    RunDll32 cmicnfg ctfmon dumprep 0-k (the culprit!) WKsSB WkDect qttask SysTray dumprep 0-u(not sure what this is) VTPreset wkfud Windows Search

Any help is greatly appreciated.

OK, well the Proper way to remove items from the startup, depending on what they are is Use windows defender if you have it installed (Tools, software Explorer, startup tab), or use StartCPL (Will show up in Control Panel After install) >>>
    http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip

There are MANY other ways to change startup items as well, like for one do not allow them to be added to startup from the get go, and MANY items have a option you can change in the options or preferences menus of the actual programs. MsConfig is just not the way to do these things

Yes, Win.ini items Could be not loaded, but they do not slow things down AT All, and do get used by various items

Dumprep is the microsoft error reporting tool, used to create memory dumps for debuggin, and to send error reports to MS should you decide to do so. Ya, it is not needed, but is not the cause of any error or BSOD. Sounds like you have many more issues then you may think. How long has it been since a Clean install? Would be the BEST thing for your system as it sounds like you may have some spyware and worse installed.

I know you are likely stuck in your ways, I have seen many users who just will not accept the proper ways to do things. So, I will give you the info about all this and let you decide to do the same or do it right. And yes, either way will get it done, but the incorrect way will cause far more issues and affect other things without you meaning to as opposed to the proper paths to get things done

RunDLL32 Should Always Be enabled TONS of microsoft/windows programs and features use this! I am surprised you even can get your windows to start with this disabled

Cmicnfg is for your soundcard, which you could mute or disable via Device manager

ctfmon is part of the language bar/language services and can be disabled in control panel, regional and language options

WksSB

Description: WksSb.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" - typically C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 311350 bytes (53% of all occurrence), 331830 bytes, 725046 bytes, 175670 bytes, 166454 bytes.
    The program has a visible window. The application starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run). The file is not a Windows core file. The application can be removed using the control panel Add\Remove programs applet. WksSb.exe is able to record inputs. Therefore the technical security rating is 10% dangerous.

External information from Paul Collins:
    There are different files with the same name:

* "Microsoft Works Portfolio" is not required to run at start up. The Works Portfolio tool lets you collect and organize text and pictures from the Web or your favorite program.Can be prevented from starting from a setting within Portfolio
    * "WksSb" is not required to run at start up. The Works Portfolio tool lets you collect and organize text and pictures from the Web or your favorite program. The Works Portfolio provides a location where you can store items you want to later put into a document or other file

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as WksSb.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. so check to see if you find those files in the incorrect places and if so you know it is spyware and not the windows version
    Systray.... Why do you have your taskbar Icons disabled? That is what this is, the notification area on the right

Qttask can be disabled in Quicktime options by not running at startup (Or install Quicktime liet plugin and then uninstall quicktime as it is bloatware, unless you like it)

wkfud is MS Garbage advertisements, you can disable that with Defender or Startupcpl.

VtPreset is a S3 graphic driver, if you need it disabled there was likely the option in the control panel for this adjustments. Or use one of the above suggested

Windows Search can be disabled several ways other then MsConfig, depending on which you have installed

Do you have the "Windows Messenger Service" disabled in Services (Not to be confused with Windows messenger you IM with or MSN Messenger)? If not disable this, and while you are there disable "Alerter" as well

What Spyware apps do you run and how often? I suggest 3 or so different ones once a week.

What Antivirus do you use?

RPC Locator must be enabled to use a router and setup a LAN.

Can you please post images of your services so I can see all of them, and wide enough to see what is on and disabled and such.

And can you also post a image of what you have now in your network connections folder

GOOD news all, for me and I am sure for you too because now I won't be bothering you with the problems I have had over the last 2 days.

All has been fixed. My PC is running like new, Internet connection and all.

Thank you all for all your support and help regarding all my issues. I really, really appreciate it. Especially, thank you Lsdmeasap for all your detailed help and all your effort.

I will outline my fix, in case you are wondering and to close this subject with a comment that may serve someone with a similar problem to mine:

What caused the blue screen coming up every 3 minutes or so after each start-up was "dumprep 0-k", which has now been disabled. I gather this certainly is not needed because dumpreg is for the message pop-up "program has encountered an error and must close, to report this error to Microsoft, click send".

I tried the following steps in order to totally get rid of it, but it still shows up under startup items (but like I said, now its disabled), but these steps may work well for others:

Right click My Computer and select Properties, now click the Advanced Tab, look under Startup and Recovery, click Settings, down towards the bottom there is a drop down box under Write Debugging Information, click the arrow and select none and make sure that the word None stays in the box and click ok, now click the Error Reporting button and choose Disable Error Reporting. Now click OK and Ok.

Now go to start, search Local Drive, search for *.DMP and delete the files that it fines, empty recycle bin.

Now run MSCONFIG and see if that program is still in the startup area, if it's gone great, if not you may need to edit the registry:

Start Run type regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run. Select KernelFaultCheck name and hit delete.

So after I disabled “dumprep 0-k” all worked fine on my PC but I did not have Internet connection. To finally solve that problem I contacted my Internet provider and he was able to help fix the problem. This was the fix:

Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections

Now “LAN or High – Speed Internet “ window opens and shows Local Area Connection.
    It should say Connected. If not then right – click and click disable. Reboot. Get back to same place then right – click and click on Enable. Now Local Area Connection should say Connected and now you should have Internet connection.

Hopefully this may be of some help to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    OK, well the Proper way to remove items from the startup, depending on what they are is Use windows defender if you have it installed (Tools, software Explorer, startup tab), or use StartCPL (Will show up in Control Panel After install) >>>
    http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip

There are MANY other ways to change startup items as well, like for one do not allow them to be added to startup from the get go, and MANY items have a option you can change in the options or preferences menus of the actual programs. MsConfig is just not the way to do these things
    I will follow your advice, thank you. I am curious, if you don't mind, please explain why its bad to disable in msconfig.
    sounds like you may have some spyware and worse installed.
    I am very confident I dont have any virus or malware. I am very careful about that.
    RunDLL32 Should Always Be enabled TONS of microsoft/windows programs and features use this! I am surprised you even can get your windows to start with this disabled
    I had no trouble at all getting into windows with RunDLL32 disabled, but on your advice, I will enable it.
    Systray.... Why do you have your taskbar Icons disabled? That is what this is, the notification area on the right
    I know what this is and I was surprised at the fact that all my icons appear in the tray even with this disabled. Have no idea why.
    Qttask can be disabled in Quicktime options by not running at startup (Or install Quicktime liet plugin and then uninstall quicktime as it is bloatware, unless you like it)
    I periodically download a song from iTunes and this must be played in the iTunes player. Would Quicktime Lite still serve my purpose?
    VtPreset is a S3 graphic driver, if you need it disabled there was likely the option in the control panel for this adjustments. Or use one of the above suggested
    What exactly does the S3 graphic driver do?
    Windows Search can be disabled several ways other then MsConfig, depending on which you have installed
    I donloaded the Windows Search thats on Vista but now also available for XP.
    Do you have the "Windows Messenger Service" disabled in Services (Not to be confused with Windows messenger you IM with or MSN Messenger)? If not disable this, and while you are there disable "Alerter" as well
    I could not find "Windows Messenger Service", I wonder why.
    What Spyware apps do you run and how often? I suggest 3 or so different ones once a week.
    Actually I do exactly that - I run each program once a week. I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware and Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008. I also have SpywareBlaster installed.
    What Antivirus do you use?
    I use avast and I also have ThreatFire (from PC Tools) installed.
    Can you please post images of your services so I can see all of them, and wide enough to see what is on and disabled and such.
    Because I can't expand the msconfig box I would need to take approx. 7 screen shots to cover the whole list. I currently have all services enabled
    except Alert (which you said I don't need. But I sure am curious about all the other services. I seems to me that many are simply not needed (but perhaps it just makes no difference to PC performance), does it?
    And can you also post a image of what you have now in your network connections folder
    I guess you don't need this because I have Internet now.

Thank you so much for your time.

It is just bad practice to do so, which you have already been shown and got in the habit of using. It is bad because many people teach others to do this to get around viruses or other problems that should be fixed properly otherwise it may cause other issues.

Just bad practice is all, Like I suggested each of those things has a proper way to change and not use MsConfig

Sounds like you do alot of spyware scans that is good, I suggest you install and run Spybot Search and Destroy as well (While installing Please pay attention and uncheck System Settings Protection "Tea Timer" towards the end)
    The home of Spybot-S&D!

I am not sure if Qicktime lite will work for Itunes, but I can say the main program Quicktime you use, can be disabled from startup right in the programs options

S3? I dunno your graphics chip or card driver or configuration applet?

Windows search, why do you install this, then disable? That seems pointless! Really?
    I mean if you do not like it uninstall it

Windows Messenger service is in Services and it is called Messenger (Sorry if I confused you)

I did not want to see msconfig window, I asked about services, which would be maybe three. but No need now that you have your connection fixed, that is why I wanted to see your services window. Since you say ALL Services Enabled I know for sure you are looking at the wrong place MsConfig (Thought I told you to get out of there, see old habit die hard!)

Services is in the administrative tools menu (Which you may need to enable from Taskbar properties, start menu, customize, advanced. (You can add to start menu or control panel) Or you can type Services.msc into a Run box and the services window will come up. This is ONE Proper area to disable services or change to manual >>>>

Yeap, no need now, but that is why I asked then I would have asked you to do the same as whomever helped you while I was out.

Nice to see you got all fixed up though, good luck with everything and sorry for the late reply

Thank you again for your advice Lsdmaasap. I will download Spybot Search and Destroy.
    Windows search, why do you install this, then disable? That seems pointless! Really?
    I mean if you do not like it uninstall it
    After the extensive search just after install when all was categorized, I feel I don't need to have it search for updates unless I install other software. I just open it when I need to search, that's all. I feel this works fine.

Ya, you MUST update it when you install it, then immunize, then do a scan.

Are you on dial up or what? Just wondered why you did not want to update?

you need to update it because it does not ship out with any definitions in it, so there is plenty it needs

Thread Information