Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP activation

Default XP activation

buildt a new computer a while ago, and used the XP CD that came with my laptop to install the OS.
    Because the installation already exists on another computer, i can't activate the installation with the product key i have, and the activation screen won't link me to a place where i can get another activation key.

I tried microsofts support section, but i can't get any help there because it requires a valid activation key, and the one i have won't work just because it's old and uses xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx instead of xxx-xxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx or something like that.

How do i work around Microsofts impractical system and get my OS activated?

Default Re: XP activation

Not sure, last time I tried to install XP ( it's been a while since Vista came out ) I could not get it activated as well. And everything found on the ineternet was already blocked by Microsoft.

Goodluck. Go Vista =)
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Your first problem is that you installed the OS using a disk that came with your laptop. A vast majority of these disks include bloatware and drivers specific to the machine they were sold with. Even if you did manage to get a real install disk, it is still an OEM version. The first thing you're gonna want to do is to make certain you have a standard install disk. If so, then find a retailer who sells MS licenses and you can go from there. Alternatively, online etailers like Newegg still sell XP, even though MS officially stopped the sales of this OS in their efforts to force feed Vista down everyone's throat.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    Your first problem is that you installed the OS using a disk that came with your laptop. A vast majority of these disks include bloatware and drivers specific to the machine they were sold with.
    The drivers are on a separate disk. The XP disk just contains XP, and i'm sure of it. Otherwise i would've snapped the disk in half many years ago.

find a retailer who sells MS licenses and you can go from there. Alternatively, online retailers like Newegg still sell XP
    Figured that might be my only chance.
    I'm ordering a CD over the net now. i just hope it doesn't get delayed somehow and my time runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    Go Vista =)
    I've got too much self-respect for that.
    Check your running processes, memory usage and forced lag on every command.
    Last edited by Roy-Kr; 10-28-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Thread Information