Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Vista 64-bit clean install question

Arty is offline Junior Member

Default Vista 64-bit clean install question

My computer has three hard drives, one for the OS, one is partitioned to install programs to and downloads and back-ups, the 3rd hard drive is partitioned as a working drive for movie editing and music editing.

I currently have Windows XP installed and I will zero fill the drive and install Vista 64-bit OEM.

My question is, should I leave all three hard drives attached during the Vista install, or should I disconnect them until the install is over? I do not want any boot sector or any other problems on those drives.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Vista 64-bit clean install question

You can leave them installed without issue. Since you will be selecting which drive you want to install Vista on during the installation process, the other drives will simply be given a drive letter and be available when you are finished. One thing that will happen, however, is a new hidden folder will appear on each of the drives which is the way Vista utilizes its recycle bin. Other than that you are good to go.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yeap, just be sure you choose the correct one when you install Vista and you will be good to go

I disagree with the two posts above. Take out the other hard drives. When you install Vista with more than one Hard drives installed, it leaves boot sectors on the other two hard drives.

So say for example your hard drive where you keep all your software fails , or you take it out to slave it somewhere and you try to boot your computer, it won't boot. I have experienced this first hand... more than once as well. My current installs with Vista are with my main hard drive only and have had no problems.

Please install Vista with one hard drive in. I hope you can read this before you install.
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

I don't know what you are doing during the installation, but I have never had this issue. I run a dual drive setup with the first drive having Windows XP and the second having Vista and Ubuntu on two partitions. I can start the system when disonnecting either of the drives and it works flawlessly.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree. You can choose to put the bootloader on more then one drive, but that would be done manually or with a program and not by default

Works by default for me.. and I've seen it happen to other people. It's 2v1 though, his choice.
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Thread Information