Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: never seen this problem

Default never seen this problem

Hello Was helping a friend He says he used some program on line to check or clean his registry

after that his computer starts to go into windows but at the last moment before windows comes up it stops loading he's using windows XP

I tried reloading windows set up to boot from CD

It said booting from CD then went into windows screen to start windows

couldn't load new windows cleared his cmos still same

was wondering if his mbr could be corrupt

I turned his hdd off as a boot drive just boot from CD still the same

Thanks for any help

Default Re: never seen this problem

There will only be an MBR if he is running a FAT file system. NTFS, the one usually used in an XP environment, does not use it anymore. There are still boot sectors, but not an MBR like in days past. It is also unusual for one of the SPAM monsters to actually do any damage to this area of the drive. You might want to see if you can load the drive as a USB external device (to keep from infecting another PC at bootup) and to an integrity test on the drive to make sure it is still working properly.

As for not booting from the CD, don't reset the CMOS since most do not automatically configure to load from CD before hard drive. You will need to go in and physically designate the boot order sequence. As long as the CD is listed before the primary hard drive it should load from the XP disk and allow a reformat (recommended) and a fresh install.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

thanks for the reply this is an older system using an Ide drive also the second drive is sata but it doesn't see the second drive I tried disconnecting the ide(main drive) and loading xp on the sata and xp began to load but stoped and said could not find the sata drive

Not sure but maybe in an older computer the sata has to do the F6?

also in the boot order I had just the cd no hard drives to boot from but it still went into try and load xp ad bypassed the cd It said loading from CD but then went into the original xp on the hard drive which doesn't load completly

I wonder if I got into safe mode but don't know what key to hit to do that.

I am probably making this hard to understand

appreciate you helping I am lost with this one.

onlly other thing is I have another hard drive I could give him and try and load on that then maybe format his old drive or do a low format on it

thanks again

Not needing F6 drivers only went away in Vista. Your SATA drive will need F6 drivers if you are installing XP.

F8 will take you to safe mode.

You will still want to do a check of the old drive more than likely to make sure it is not bad. Timing of the system failure could simply be coincidental to the SPAM scam, but you should check it out and make sure it is working properly; would make your troubleshooting a lot faster if you determine the drive is dead.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks will do the safe mode and then change out the hard drive

I myself have a new gagabyte system with sata's runs fine am running XP people in gagabyte tell me I don't neet to F6 drivers

again thanks

Thread Information