Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Tansfer to new system

Question Tansfer to new system

I have just built a Gigabyte P35-DS3R with E8500 CPU and 4Gig RAM. Turns on OK, recognises RAM etc and I can enter the BIOS so looking good.

On previous upgrades I have managed to boot from my old HDD and then install the new drivers but this time it just won't do it. After browsing the forums would I be right in thinking that I have to do a re-install of windows, preferably using a slipstreamed disk from my old system?

What about all the other programmes? With a lot of older programmes that I am very happy with but can't remember where or when I got them I don't fancy having to re-install and then reconfigure how they look/operate. Do they all have to be re-installed or can I just copy over the folders from the old system and then copy the windows registry?

OS is XP with SP3

Thanks, any help welcome.
    Last edited by Icebear; 01-10-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added OS

Default Re: Tansfer to new system

You would probably be much happier with the performance of your new machine if you did reinstall Windows ... especially if you've migrated the same disk from another system before. Back in the dos and Win 3.1 days I was sucessful a few times by simply moving the program itself from one hard drive to the other and editing the appropriate registry entries if needed but I think you would have quite a task trying that with most of todays programs. Copying over the entire registry would prolly be a bad idea as I believe it would probably bork the drivers on the new OS install. If you can't find your program disks for some older programs there may be some free and legit replacements availible online if you can't afford to buy new ones.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Default Re: Tansfer to new system

i had to try this and it worked much better

Thread Information