Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shared Printer Networking Problem with XP?

Hi Guys.

MS suggested I use "NET USE LPT2 \\machine\printername /persistent:yes"

I entered NET USE as suggested and got "Command completed successfully"

I assumed this was telling me that the 810 could attach locally via the network using the LPT2 port. I then configured the network, using the XP Add Printer wizard, to attach the 810 on LPT2, picking up the already installed XP 810 drivers. This was successful and printer icon installed. A test page was printed ok, good job!

Now I believe this is a work round for a real problem that exists with XP. XP should be able to attach a Network printer using the wizard as a network device. Since the machine and printer name is know to the network XP should be able to resolve it. Windows 98, ME and XP all manage to install Networked printers simply and fast through their Add Printer routines and their browser sees the networked printers immediately, so why can't XP do this? XP is sold on the premise that Networking is made very simple for the general public, not so in this case. Networking XP to XP is terrific but XP to other operating systems and network devices is much more difficult.

Microsoft should make this problem a knowledge base item and provide a generalised fix, plus fix the XP issue in the next service pack release.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to your comments on the above.

Best regards

Dave Barr
    Dave Barr

I'll give that a go at work and see if I can get my system to print on the networked printers. Here's hoping. :)

Where do you enter this NET USE command? Right before the printer location when you're setting it up?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yes I'd like to know exactly where that goes myself. :?:

For XP; set up Net Use by clicking Start, Run then type CMD. This will give you the DOS command prompt screen then type the following exactly, not including the " marks and taking care to include spaces where I have shown.

"NET USE LPT2 \\machine\printername /persistent:yes"

type your remote printer name where your share the locally attached printer is in machine and your shared printer name in printername.

Press Enter after your Net Use command has been entered correctly.

You should receive a reply "The command completed successfully"

If you do not receive this response then either you mistyped the Netuse information ( spaces?) or there is a more serious network connection problem.

Once you have received the correct return message from Net Use your system will have stored the connection properties from the XP machine to your shared printer as a locally a attached LPT2 device.

Now go into Add printers: make shure you delete all old references to your shared printer. The add your shared printer as a Local printer using the Add Printer Wizard. Select LPT2 as its port and follow the wizard. Do not include share this printer when wizard asks. Select the printer model to ensure the correct drivers are loaded in the XP machine. This all works because NET USE has stored all the relevent network information between the two machines.

If all goes well you should see the print icon added to the printer window and you should be able to print a test page satisfactorily.

This should do the trick if all other network parameters have been install correctly.

Regards

:thumb:
    Dave Barr

Thanks for that and I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

go figure mapping the printer share to a local printer port worked.

I just noticed something with my 98 printer server on the XP and Win2k clients that print to it the share name isn't suing the machine name its using the print servers IP address like:

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share

and on one PC my own Win2K box its using the 98 printer server's network name but I have an entry in my machines lmhosts file with the IP address to machine name translation [we don't use WINS or NetBIOS here at all].

This might shed some extra light on the situation for those with the problem.

Machine name and IP address are interchangable. The DNS setting of TCP/IP will translate the machine logical name into an IP address. This is the same reasoning when you use Ping, you can either ping a machine name or an IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.

As for Wins etc you only need TCP/IP set up on XP.

XP and 2K machines are very closely linked in the way they operate systems.

Making a LMHOST entry will force the issue as this is a lookup table for networking. I don't understand why an LMHOST entry should not do the job of NET USE.

This whole problem is because XP has a bug in it and MS need to fix it. It should not be difficult since Win98, ME and NT can all add networked printers easily.

Using NET USE is a work around. and uses the old DOS way to network devices.

Glad to hear you were successful.

By the way the first part of your post was missing?

Regards :thumb:
    Dave Barr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information