Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shared Printer Networking – Problem with XP?

:confused:

We have a small home network installed in Primary School. There are ten PC’s that have a mix of operating systems from XP, NT, ME and 98SE. As a network all machines work happily together via a switch and contact to the Internet is made via an ISDN router. There are two printers installed on the network, which use D-Link 301P+ dedicated print servers. All devices survive happily together although XP had some initial difficulties talking to the D-Link print server but this was overcome through careful IP addressing.

Now the problem:

We recently purchased an Epson 810 stylus photo printer and installed it locally via the parallel port, LPT1, on an ME operating system PC. The printer works fine in local mode. We then shared this printer on the network. Printing to the 810 printer via NT and 98SE operating systems machines presented no problems and the 810 prints whatever is sent to it via the network, but not so for the XP operating system machines.

All XP machines see the ME local printer as a shared device. The XP machine will happily installs the printer icon as a network printer once the 810 drivers have been installed onto the XP machine. But no test page can be printed nor can anything else printed to the 810 sent from the XP machines. We can ping the ME machine OK from XP and can receive shared data from the ME so we know XP can communicate. The XP firewall is not set and only TCP/IP has been set throughout the network. We now are lost for new ideas.

Has anyone else had similar problems to the above and is there a fix or work round available or what are we doing wrong? XP does not set up the network simply or as neatly as with its predecessor operating systems, what has Microsoft changed?

Any help solving this problem for our school would be much appreciated.

Regards

Dave Barr – School IT co-ordinator

There are a number of threads here on this problem yet no one has worked out a propper fix for it yet sadly to my knowledge. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

This sounds similar to the problem that we are having at our Department. I am one of the very first to have an XP based machine, so in many ways I'm the trial machine.

Our network is considerably larger than yours, but I have had the same problems when it comes to printing to a network printer. Even though I can set up a machine to see the network printer, I cannot print to it. And it doesn't make any difference if the printer is simply shared or if it's connected directly to the network. We finally managed to isolate the problem as being an incompatibility between out NT based print server and any machine with the WinXP operating system installed. Fortunately it will soon be time to update our servers, so we'll be getting either a Win2k based one or an XP based server for a replacement. After talking to a number of folks, there aren't any known incompatibilities between these systems. It is my understanding that the older NT shell gives fits to the newer XP based OS.

Hopefully we'll get a patch soon from old Bill, but until then you might look at making a different machine the server (if possible).

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yeah neither of the XP machines here will use the printer but can see it so we just move whatever needs to be done to one of the SE ones and print from there. It's not the best way of doin' it but at least it gets printed. :smokin:

At my office we have an HP 855 inkjet shared from an old Win98 PC and I can print to this beast via an XP Pro computer. it might just be an Epson thing..

If the school doesn't mind spending some money you can probably buy one of those paralell to ethernet print servers that connects to the paralell pront on the print yet turns it into a network printer.

:(
    We have a couple of dedicated Lan/Parallel print servers (D-Link 301P+) and eventually managed to get these working via the XP and Network. This printer is dedicated to the ME machine because the setup is dedicated to mutimedia graphics. We could add another print server but this is just a cop-out workround.

You have given me an idea though, I will attach a different printer to the ME local port to see if this changes things. If another printer does work then I agree it could well be an Epson problem.

Something I read on the another Network Forum was that the shared name must be less than 8 characters and no spaces, our shared name was EPSON810, for XP to work with a shared printer. I'll check this at the same time.

Regards
    Dave Barr

Well nothing that I've tried so far will work with my Canon or Lexmark printers. :(

:rolleyes:
    MS have replied to my Incident, they say there is no documented data which shows this to be a problem and thus no internal fix. I have asked for further clarification from them on this issue and requested they do some internal testing to prove there is a problem in Networking shared printers on non XP OS machines.

I will try another printer on the ME system over the weekend to see if it is Epson specific, your latest reply suggests it is not.

Regards
    Dave Barr

The computers in my workgroup are HP units for the most part. Let us know if you get anything productive from Microsoft. You might also link this thread so that they can see that there are more people than just yourself having this problem.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well I changed the shared name to EPSN810, less than eight character and no spaces. I changed the computer name to CORRIDOR5, again no spaces. Again, the XP failed to talk to the printer although it added the printer onto its network.

I then physically put the 810 printer on the XP machine using the USB port and configured it, a test page printed ok. This says the XP 810 drivers work ok and so does the printer attached to XP machine as a local device.

I looked at the event log surrounding the unsuccessful attempts at printing to the networked to the 810 shared on the ME machine. The log was not very informative even with a Win 2000 list of error code ID's, I assume are the same as XP ID's. It did tell me that the printer failed with ID 61. That there were numerous DNS timeouts, I guess because it could not resolve a name somewhere. There was also an interesting 'Information' event posted which stated "Type the password for the shared resource: %0\r\n". I have never set passwords for either XP or ME machines but I recall something about both machines needing the same user and password set. Can any one expand on this confusing requirement . :confused: This is not certainly not necessary when sharing files so why would it be necessary for a shared printer.

Regards
    Dave Barr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information