Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XP wont boot, registry problem

As I suggested try www.google.com and search on Windows\System32\config, this will turn up a number of sites dealing with your current problem.

Regards

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Dave,
    Have had the same problem as Perseus.
    Have been down now for 9days or more. Cannot work out what to do.
    Registry is corrupt/ hives shot.

My problem is that I can no longer boot to ANY drive:
    A:\ (floppy)
    C:\ (system)
    D:\ (cd rom)
    E:\ (video media as Raid 0)

to effect a repair. Bios changes have no effect in being able to access A or D drives. I could go into more detail but was wondering if you might have any ideas to begin with. I am stumped.
    Thanks
    peterC

Peter
    If you are having a boot error message that says 'corrupt Windows\System32\config' then the situation is unrecoverable by normal means such as 'system recovery' because you can't get to use that recovery mode. MS say use the 'recovery console' which is available on the installation disk for XP, but, it is not intuative how to get to it or use it one you are there.

The internet sites give some weird and wonderful ways of recovering this fault but the best way I found was to reformat the C: drive ( ensuring a new boot sector is written) then reinstall XP and if that does'nt work install Windows 98. In my view 98 or ME are more stable but it is a matter of preference.

Can you tell me if you have XP home or Pro editions and did you load XP as an upgrade?

Sorry this is not a lot of good news but I can say from all the looks I've made on this problem that there is no easy solution or catagoric reason why this problem occurs, I truly believe it is an XP bug and MS must stand up to fixing it.

Keep in touch - I'll keep digging
    :thumbs do

Regards
    Dave Barr

I use XP home and nope, its not on an upgrade (heard a lot of bad things with that). I hope I don't have to reformat but how would there still be a problem if you reformat? Doesnt that erase everything so problem = gone. Thanks all for your help

Perseus

Yes reformat does = gone, my text was not very clear. I failed to add that this problem can come back anytime and if you get it too many times maybe you should use another operating system.

I have a machine here in my office that crashed with this problem and I have now reformatted it and installed Win98 instead of XP (nice and quick). The system is now as stable as can be. Now should I upgrade to XP? My answer is no, not until I find a good recovery procedure which overcomes a reinstall of XP, its far to time consuming.

Regards

Dave Barr
    Dave Barr

Hi Guys

Take a look at

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...orum/4611.html

A lot of people talk a lot about this problem.

Don't forget a problem shared means a lot of problems!

Regards
    Dave Barr

Try this site for a procedure on using Recovery Console to recover from this problem

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4700/rh4796.htm

It seems pretty complicated.

Regards
    Dave Barr

Hello Perseus, Dave, et al,
    Where do we start.
    Have gone into information overload on this one.
    Have compiled many docs, threads, posts, Knowledge Base items etc.
    Need a lot of time to digest it all, so I'll continue to try to keep it simple.

So far, in my case, I do not know what I should do to get my computer to recognise ANY drive to BOOT to. Perseus , how are you going on this?

Dave, I have posted a detailed account of how my problem originally arose (amongst other places) at:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...rum/30698.html
    Subject: Win XP Pro - cannot boot to any drive

see also:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...rum/30797.html
    Subject: can't boot from anything (floppy, cd,etc (I have replied here)

They may give you and Perseus insight if you care to read them.

This is first part of post, pls see Part2 following- sorry its so long.
    peterC

Part 2 of previous post

Dave I spent the whole night going through that site you mentioned today (that's how I got here in the first place). I did not see the thread in your last post. What am I missing, the threads don't go back that far (thank God).

I make mention in 'subject 2' that I may need to do a cold reset of the CMOS to see if that helps, but am not prepared to do that just yet, not enough info on what it will do to my system. I have 4 Bios levels to consider.

Dave, I have XP Pro, full version, clean install.

Formatting is not an option for me, too much work tied up. I would need to have access to a drive in any event to do that and that is not the case.

Men where do we go from here.
    peterC

Peter C

I am pushed for time here.

Am I right in assuming your machine won't even boot into DOS with a strat-up disk. Any start-up disk (boot Disk) will do, windows 98 or ME.

If that works you can get to your C: drive, if you can get to your C:drive then you can copy your data files to another drive on the system, assuming you have another drive that is. If not its a long floppy copy job.

If you have no functioning A:drive I suggest you have a hard think as to what you did previously which may have caused this loss.

If no A:drive take a look take a look in BIOS to see if your system actually detects you have one, similarly for your other drives.

If no A: drive then make sure your PSU is delivering all voltages and that the drive light comes on when you insert a diskette. Think whether you have disturbed cables, it is very easy to get the A:drive cable reversed (pin 1 the wrong end). If all ok and still no A: drive then stick in a new one - cheap today.

Make sure the hard drive is spining when you power up the system, stick the handle of a screw driver in your ear and touch the drive case with the screwdriver spade and you will hear it run up and seek etc.

You need to make sure your system basically functioning first and that it can boot into DOS mode before going any further into this.

Sorry to say you should have data back-up. Re-installing your software should be the only price you pay for reformatting.

Cheers for now
    Dave Barr

That's why I have a partition for the os itself and others for programs, games and music. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information