Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XP wont boot, registry problem

whell i know nothing about windows xp but i do '
    know in windows 98 you can if you have the
    cd-rom on the computer in the hard drive copied into the subdir and youre licence key you can
    type setup /is /ir /id /im /ie /iq /iv
    these are /is skip scandisk /ir skip regestry check /id skip disk space check saves like 110 minnutes of wait /im skip memmory check /ie skip emergency disk ask /iq skip crosslinks! /iv skip billbords that might help if windowsxp uses same setup /? for its options then save system files and gointo windows it should load as exactly as if
    nothing happend if you need to you can steal progra~1 and mydocuments to c:\ and rename and then paste back later to replace lost shortcuts in windows98 now you should beable to load up windows xp by letting it backup regestry

the problem might be a FULL harddrive you might
    have to mutch cache for iexplore.exe or netscape
    nadthat might use to mutch heap swap files for browsing internet :cheers: i hope you just let it boot in and fixed it by just backing up regestry once in windows and then rebooting w first choice then copy first chioce rename first choice to 2 then rename 2 to original configration then rename 2 to original configuration then delete 2 it chompes it it may take three profiles to do it but it uasualy works then

F@#K i have to swear because i fixed all registry problems JUST USE A SMALLER Drive or a new one and do what i do just load off of c and use d as youre
    files drive and even SHARE d full DUH NOW since i did that w my 8gig seagate because i bought a 60gig and wanted to use the old drive intact i ****ed it up w my irqs so i just booted c ad new 60gig and left d as old drive and just told c-mos to boot from drive 1 instead of drive 0 didnt even have to move jumpers so instead of 60gig being slave d its slave c and boots and since i got into windows w 60gig i can just look in d for files like q2 its just a new short cut I load up 60gig write all irq and memmory for tvview pci card down
    like resources are now at irq 10
    EB077000-EB077FFF
    and
    input output range very important not conflict w voodoo5 or nvidia!
    D600-D6FF
    these thing will cause a non boot problem also if video card stuck on irq3 you need to shut off com ports anduse ps2 mouse to boot thats why safe mode
    is now used like dos5 w win32 winnt win2000 winxp and ctrl alt delete not a hot key to reboot like a game because it works better .

READ post below its easyer to just use a second drive and boot from a clean install then just use d as youre saved files and c as new files

Quote Originally Posted by aww
    whell i know nothing about windows xp but i do '
    know in windows 98 you can if you have the
    cd-rom on the computer in the hard drive copied into the subdir and youre licence key you can
    type setup /is /ir /id /im /ie /iq /iv
    these are /is skip scandisk /ir skip regestry check /id skip disk space check saves like 110 minnutes of wait /im skip memmory check /ie skip emergency disk ask /iq skip crosslinks! /iv skip billbords that might help if windowsxp uses same setup /? for its options then save system files and gointo windows it should load as exactly as if
    nothing happend if you need to you can steal progra~1 and mydocuments to c:\ and rename and then paste back later to replace lost shortcuts in windows98 now you should beable to load up windows xp by letting it backup regestry

the problem might be a FULL harddrive you might
    have to mutch cache for iexplore.exe or netscape
    nadthat might use to mutch heap swap files for browsing internet :cheers: i hope you just let it boot in and fixed it by just backing up regestry once in windows and then rebooting w first choice then copy first chioce rename first choice to 2 then rename 2 to original configration then rename 2 to original configuration then delete 2 it chompes it it may take three profiles to do it but it uasualy works then

Peter -
    your problem seems a little bit over my head but I can think of a few things to help. I agree with Barr that you need to make sure that your hard drive is running. If it is the problem might lay in the BIOS so reinstalling it might help (you need floppy drive to do that). You might have to reformat so I would take the hard drive with the files you want to back up and put it in another computer. This way will also make sure that the hard drive has no problems. Yesterday I just reformatted my comp and reinstalled XP... but if this problem keeps occuring like other ppl says it does I might switch OS :cry:

This will probably take several posts to respond to all replies.
    Up front, thanks to all.

Dave
    -Yes , cannot boot from A:\ although I was able to 6 days ago. I used ME start up disk to do so, checked C:\ drive dir through DOS. Did nothing but view the dir. Now nothing. I don't recall doing anything other than view the C:\ dir. No other drives, ie D:\ or E:\ were detected or accessable.

-It was my intention (of several options ) to do as you say, copy across to another drive. But without ANY drive recognition, this is now 'down the line' of priority. I need drive recognition before anything else.

- In BIOS detect A:\
    I can set floppy as 1st boot, I can configure floppy ie 3.5" etc , it is enabled, Bios detects it I assume

End Part 1
    peterC

Part 2

- power to A:\
    you have hit on something here. No light on disk insert . Very curious. Will investigate as priority.

-New system, running dual redundant hotswap p/s, voltages in bios appear correct.

- scsi initialises hdd and cdrom spin up ok, but no access to either.

- system basically functioning, yes, but what else beside A:\ light have I overlooked. Hmmm

- back up, well.... I live by backup, but my backup computer is down too. I think I know why and won't bore you with it. It comes in 3's they say, I actually have 4. Just resolved the DVD prob so down to 3 again. Tomorrow.......?

Thanks again
    off to do another hard and soft recheck of my system.

BTW
    Curiously in this roll over boot sequence, I occassionally get XP interface and a C:\ scandisk without initiating it. Scans drive C:\ says it has no errors and around we go again.

Thanks Dave , sorry to take up so much of your time.
    peterC

Thanks Perseus.
    This problem is a little over my head too if it helps you to feel any better.
    I am learning more every day with help though.
    Thanks all.

- Reinstall
    I hope it works for you this time around.

I still believe that Win XP Pro (for me at least) is the way to go. Generally it is pretty good as far as my experience goes.
    I assume XP Home is similiar.

- Do not intend to flash the bios at this stage.
    Only see more muddy road in that.
    It will be enough for me to get through Microsoft's Knowledge Base to fix the Registry- if I ever get to that point.

- I am not sure if I will set up another drive and cross copy, or, just go for it and hit on my critical data drive's reg straight up and hope that M$ has got it right, I don't stuff up, and that it works.

I have some links that I have found useful to me, I don't know if you are aware of them or not.

See next post

Thanks again and good luck.
    peterC

Wiggo, yes, it is a way to go.
    Not sure why I don't do it though.
    I'm sure I had a reason.
    Was it because if you have to reformat your o/system partition that you would have to reinstall all your programs again anyway. Best to keep 'Custom files' off the drive altogether don't you agree?
    Also, partitioning your drive makes your hdd spindle work harder (?) shortening hdd life (?)
    Does it also 'slow down' your system?
    I use disk partitioning extensively ( across multiple disks) on another computer for the specific reason of 'data path integrity' to reload files in certain programs I run. They won't load otherwise.

BTW
    Enlighten me on my Aussie history. Oz's 3rd settlement? I'm intrigued.

Thanks
    peterC

Hope people who read this find it useful to them.
    Thanks for everybody's input - 'many hands make light work'

Useful forums on various o/s and other things

FORUMS:
    http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/3.html

Referred links

BIOS information
    a) http://www.bioscentral.com
    Other
    b) Labmice.net Windows XP Troubleshooter Pages
    c) Labmice.net Error Codes

2) Microsoft Knowledge Base - Australia
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=en-au

3) Links from Justeditors forum
    Part I is at :
    a) http://hardipro.com/Tweaks/Tweaks_WINXPVE-1.doc

Part II is at :
    a1) http://hardipro.com/Tweaks/Tweaks_WINXPVE-2.doc

b) http://www.winguides.com
    peterC

AWW thanks for the post.
    I need a little time to work it out. It's 4.45am and not the time for me to work out what you are saying. I think I know but am not sure of it all. Some of it is along the lines of my thinking,...... I think.
    Trouble is , it seems just as complicated as going other ways if I have got it right.
    Secondly, I'm on scsi with multiple raids on multiple channels. This needs careful footwork, it can be/get complicated.
    I'll think about your advice and query if that's ok.

Thanks
    peterC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information