Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: XP wont boot, registry problem

Peter, read your reply.

Looks to me like a bad floppy reader if voltages seem ok and cabled correctly. Make sure your floppy interface cable is not opencircuit or you have it plugged into a midway floppy connector. If you only have one floppy then it must be plugged into the furthermost connector from the motherboard.

Forgive me if I'm down to earth too much, I don't know how much you know so I am assuming nothing to cover all the points.

Now you could try this if you want to bypass the floppy.

Go into BIOS, set the boot order to Floppy, CD and IDE=0 (C:drive) and then save and exit.

Put your XP Professional CD into your CD Drive

Power off the machine - then power on again

Be quick to spot the message "press any key to boot from CD"

Booting from the CD will then give you a 'Windows Setup' blue screen with three options. Press the 'R' key option which will then take you into the Reovery Console (a black screen). type 1 after the question and press enter. If you are asked for a password (hopefully you did not set one when installing XP, if you did then enter that administrator password) press enter.

If all is successful then you will see a DOS command prompt:
    "C:\WINDOWS>"

Type "cd .." without quotes making sure you include the space between cd and .. and you will get your C: drive if you want it.

Back in C:\WINDOWS you can perform copy of data from any C: directory to other hard drive to protect your data on your system.

You can then either re-format the c: drive and reinstall XP OR try using the recovery console recovery procedure.

A how to restore your broken system32\config problem is well documented on the following site, and it will give you a step by step instruction and of fun!

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4700/rh4796.htm

Keep talking

Regards
    Dave Barr

Peter -
    I don't think this applies to you but it might. For some reason my bios stopped recognizing my hard drive (but it recognizes CD drives). I tried the hard drive in my other comp and it recognized the HD. I changed the jumper on my HD from master to slave on my comp (it should be master... i have no other HD's) and it recognized it. I then changed it to CS so that I can have it be on master. This might help you... i don't know or it could be that the pins on the master is messed up. I would try it if you can't think of anything else.

Peter

The problem you cannot reach your C: drive could be due to it having lost/corrupted its Master Boot Record (MBR). You can recover this by getting into the recovery console and using the FIXMBR utility.

FIXMBR is a rotine that is useable from the recovery console prompt "C:\WINDOWS>" eg just type FIXMBR after C:\WINDOWS>

Something in my memory says that the general system32\config corruption problem can also be involved with lost MBR on the boot disk.

See my earlier post on how to get into recovery console.

PS I checked out the recovery procedure on my spare XP machine and it seems to work fine, have a beer before you start, a little dutch courage helps.

Cheers, hope you got some sleep, I'm just off for some myself.
    :zzz:
    Dave Barr

Thanks Perseus.
    So you are up and running ok?
    CS is other computer?

My system is
    A:\ floppy
    C:\ scsi system drive
    D:\ ide cd rom
    E:\ 2 scsi media drives as Raid 0. Another drive 'spare'

I need to pull out E:\ and replace these from time to time , similiar to ejecting and reinserting a video cassette. It's a long story.

In terms of what you suggest, it only works for my IDE drives, ie Cd rom. I have tried Cd rom on a different IDE channel (in my case put it onto Primary IDE - it came to me on Secondary) reset the Bios accordingly but still would not boot. It spins up on startup and close, but not any other time.
    I even replaced it with another Cdrom unit to no avail

I've been trying to check/ think of so many things that I'm forgetting some of the obvious.

Dave was on the money, no light on my A:\ is 1st port of call for me today. How did I miss/not think of this? I was too busy looking at internals and not the so obvious.

A forgotten lesson here
    KISS
    peterC

Ya, my comp seems to be working great (except the Net but thats unrelated) and by CS i didn't mean another computer, its the jumper setting cable select. I'm sorry that didnt help you :( I'll review your posts tonight and see if I see anything obvious but I'm not familiar with scsi. How long have you had this problem? well good luck

Hi Perseus,
    Good to hear you are up ok.
    Now if I can only follow you.......
    Down now for 10, 11 12 days?..... I've lost count and am completely exhausted.

I have 2 weddings to shoot this weekend and I'm physically and mentally drained.

But good news.... Dave was right. How STUPID of me. In all the things I've been doing and checking, what have I been checking?
    (Don't put me in charge of an aeroplane)

We have an A:\ drive and dos prompt - YIPPEEEE

I did not reconnect the splined power supply from the CdRom (when I changed it for checking) to the A drive. You know, that little, little, little power cable that is tucked right down, right down, the back of the chassis behind ALL the IDE cables? Know the one?

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

OK, now we have to bone up on how to get the CD Rom going and repair the Registry or effect a Restore.

Dave, I hope you read this.

I'll keep you both informed.

You people are good people, thanks again.
    peterC

Peter C

Last night I sent lots more info on registry and other fault finding stuff, pls read those posts and check the site out on registry repair, its not too bad once you decide to do it, it may save you some time in the long run.

Order of play:

1. Get into Recovery Console
    2. Check your C:drv MBR fix if broken
    3. Use registry recovery procedure

Good new about the floppy.

Regards

Dave
    Dave Barr

Hello Dave.
    -I need to work out how to access my D:\ cdrom drive (IDE)
    To be able to load Recovery Console.
    Your suggestion regarding C:\ (system) as IDE 0 in BIOS I don't think works for me. Mine is a scsi drive.

How to bypass C:(scsi) to get D:(ide) working at boot up?
    (bypassing the cycling effect of boot, XP load, XP fail, reboot)

IDE takes precedence over scsi in terms of startup, does it not?
    If so, where is my problem, how do I fix it?
    This is my current focus.
    My Bios changes have had no effect.

and..... well..... I'm not sure of the best plan of attack from that... I have to consider many of the pieces of data I've gathered to understand best course of action.
    I will leave that till later.

First, get D:\ drive to boot
    Second, D:\ to boot before XP tries to load.

That beer is looking good but......
    peterC

Peter

I don't quite understand, if you can get into BIOS why you can't set the CDROM driver as your primary boot device, this is a pretty basic function. If you manage to change your BIOS, put your XP intallation disk in the D:\drive and all should be well.

As regards to your SCSI, this should make no difference for this exercise, BIOS is always the first port of call for on system start up. Are you sure that your D:\ drive is not a SCSI device? just checking.

I have no hands on involvement/knowledge in SCSI so I can't advise much further except that it usually has its own hardware device driver that does not usually require installing. Are you using ADAPTEC SCSI driver card?

Let me know how you get on with BIOS exercise. What is the make of your BIOS chip, AWARD or AMI?

Cheers
    Dave Barr

Peter

If you manage to get to the XP installation disk on your CD drive you maight like to consider using one of your other drives to install another XP bootable installation. When you get the message to install, point it at another drive, XP will then install a second bootable version called 'Dual Boot'. When you start up the system you will then be asked which XP system you want to boot from.

This will at least get you going while you fix the original installation.

Regards
    Dave Barr

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information