Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: XP wont boot, registry problem

Hi Peter, thought you'd left the building.

Well to remind you the six disks are equivalent to getting to the Recovery Console without having to run your XP installation CD. I can try to send then to you or post them on my website for you to download. I know they work, and you know your A drive will boot ok.

I have just tried them on a spare XP machine that was not used to create then and they run OK.

Do you want to give it a go?

Regards
    Dave Barr

Dave,
    Thanks. I will give it a go.
    I will d/l from Microsoft's site.
    If I have any problem with that, I'll take up your offer.

I get the feeling it's all there, but I'm never going to get to it.

I see a reinstall on another drive coming up and hopefully a 'drag across' from one drive to the other of what I need to salvage (if possible), a reformat, o/s and programs reinstall and another 'drag across'.
    Another 3 weeks worth of 'recovery' I'd reckon.

I'll let you know how things go. It will be 2- 3 days from now. Another busy weekend/week for me.

Take care.
    peterC

Ok Peter

My suggestion of emailing you direct the zipped disks would be an effective way for you. Especially as the first disk is the key one which is about 250K. Unzip this to a floppy and try to start your PC, if it asks you for DISK#2 your in business.

Let me know.

I have not seen these disks on the MS website but I have not searched it properly, they may be there.

Have a good week-end

Regards

Dave Barr

Please read the following site, it has the information on XP startup diskettes and where to get them if you want.

http://pages.zdnet.com/hampsi/Articles/boot.htm

Also, is you c: drive formatted as NTFS? if so this may be a pointer to your boot problem.
    Dave Barr

Dave, I am running Fat 32 on the system drive set up as Raid 0. NTFS on the Raid 0 Media Drives.
    peterC

Ok Peter, give the floppies a go. I sent you the details on how to down load these to your email address.

Talk soon

Dave
    Dave Barr

Quote Originally Posted by FA-MAS
    Boot from the Windows XP CD, and go through the steps for Repairing an installation. I can't remember the exact steps, but it's in one of the posts here.

Also, did you back u p the registry before doing those tweaks?

TRIED REPAIRING XP BUT SAME ERROR.NOW WHAT?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information