Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XP wont boot, registry problem

I was doing the windows xp tweaks on this site, and obiously something went wrong (call me a n00b if you want to :)). When I turn on my comp it says:

registry cannot load the hive file \systemroot\system32\config\software or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable. Beginning dump of physical memory dumping physical memory to disk

It counts to about 50 then restarts and same thing. The only solution I could come up with was that I should use a restore point to boot. How can I access the restore point when I can't boot? (only thing I can think of is a boot disk but I don't know where the restore points are stored and how to initiate the restore process). Please help!

Boot from the Windows XP CD, and go through the steps for Repairing an installation. I can't remember the exact steps, but it's in one of the posts here.

Also, did you back u p the registry before doing those tweaks?

nope... i was 2 lazy :(

Anytime you fiddle the registry back it up. :rolleyes2

Or use the F8 key just as it starts to boot, that will get you the boot menu which will let you choose safe mode, if it boots like that you'll be able to run system restore.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

I can't boot in safe mode, get same problem :( I'm gona try using the repair install today see if that helps

This problem is a phenomenon with XP and happens because the registry hive gets corrupted when the system powers down at the end of an exhausting day. There is no known fix except to try to recover the situation by using the system recovery procedure. The system will not boot in safe mode to my knowledge. This problem has happened to me twice on two different machines out of six. All machines were XP pro upgrades from Win 98SE and all with the same new hardware components.

The reason for this unprovoked happening is supposed to be due to the machine shutting down too quickly before all data has been neatly put to bed prior to the next startup.

There are many ideas what causes this problem but don't get sucked into changing loads of hardware, it is not your system and it can happen to anyone any time!

I have even reformatted hard drives and reinstalled XP only to find the problem can get you again at a later date.

I have a very sneaky suspicion that the power down sequence with XP is closely linked to poor power supply sequencing. I say this because one day I replaced all components in a failing machine except for its case and power supply and the problem came back a few weeks later, not much science, just gut feel.

I call this problem the dredded black screen of death.

This is a MS problem who have failed yet again with XP with inadequate testing. I don't know if a fix will transpire in the XP service pack release, we can all but hope.

Regards
    Dave Barr

Ya that seems to be exactly the problem. How do you do system recovery when u can't go in safe mode and will the repair install fix it? Thanks

The place this gets fixed is the "XP Recovery Console" - don't ask I have never been able to use it to get out of this problem. As you can get on the internet try serching for System32/config + error + recovery under Google.com search engine. The best way I found was to reinstall XP! drastic or what.

It's late here 00:24 so I'm off to bed, I'll take another look tomorrow for a good site.

Regards
    Dave Barr

Hi Perseus
    More info on Recovery Console, try the following hot link to a MS knowledge base on how to install it.

http://support.microsoft.com/directo...RCH&SPR=WINXP&

As I suggested try www.google.com and search on Windows\System32\config, this will turn up a number of sites dealing with your current problem.

Regards

Dave Barr

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information