Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NTFS Drives

Hey, do you all recommend using an NTFS partition for windows XP
    Athlon XP 1800+
    EpoX 8KHA+
    256MB PC2400 Kingmax Ram
    LeadTek Winfast GeForce 3 TDH Overclocked
    24x10x40 SONY CD Write/ReWrite
    Western Digital 40GB

If ya usin' solely XP then yes but if ya usin' a dual boot with a Win9x os then FAT 32 maybe a better way to start with some both os's can share files. :smokin:
    <center></center>

yeah...exactly what wiggo said...im not dual booting...well i am but with 2k, so NTFS is good...i like how you can set security for certain users...so i can restrict the Guest account to some of my folders :) So pretty much, if your not dual booting with 9x then yes, you should:)
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Silly question since I'm a NTFS newb...
    Will it still copy files to a CD that can be read by a Win9x system? Or will it only be usable on another NTFS compatible system?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

nah the files are fine...it converts them to some readable format that all windows can read...:thumb:

ntfs rules
    just that win9x can't see them and it sometimes may hang on boot trying to look for a drive it can't read...lol

ntfs is fast too:)

but you can download a program that builds itself into 98 as a service and allows you to view NTFS Partitions like a normal FAT32...supposedly runs pretty good...haven't seen it run myself..any care to test it? oh btw, if anyone wants the link, ill post it later when im on my box coz im @ school atm...

Yeah Kheldar pointed me to 2 such programs (and he'd know what works and what doesn't) but as I'm new to it (and thankfully because of 1 of my nics) decided to go just with FAT32 so both os's can share programs and files and if XP causes me any probs I have SE as the back up. ;)
    <center></center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Yeah Kheldar pointed me to 2 such programs (and he'd know what works and what doesn't) but as I'm new to it (and thankfully because of 1 of my nics) decided to go just with FAT32 so both os's can share programs and files and if XP causes me any probs I have SE as the back up. ;)
    <center></center>
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I have done as well Wiggo - the first four partitions of my hard drive are FAT32, so that in both 98SE and XP my drive letters are all the same, et cetera, then I have a final 'Secure' partition (Z:) that has seperate folders set up so that only certain users can access them.

Mines a little different with 4 partitions C:\ being SE, D:\ being XP with the shared files on both E:\ and F:\ . ;)
    <center></center>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information