Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WINXP, GEFORCE, and AGP Controller resource conflict - Someb

Problem Scope

This thread applies to:

Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Professional Edition
    Numerous makes and models of the NVidia GeForce Chipset
    Motherboards with various Intel Chipsets
    Perhaps more?

Symptoms

This problem manifests in two flavors for me. An exclamation point appears by the Nvidia GeForce Ti4200 entry under the Display Adapter listing in device manager. The device status displays "This device cannot start (Code 10)." No helpful information is reported in the Resources tab just that the device has a problem.

Under certain situations vgasave is chosen as the driver and the following information is reported in the Resource Conflict portion of the Resources tab:

Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by: Intel(R) 82815 Processor to AGP Controller - 1131

Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by: Intel(R) 82815 Processor to AGP Controller - 1131

Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by: Intel(R) 82815 Processor to AGP Controller - 1131

My System Configuration

Windows XP Home Edition with all Windows Updates installed
    Asus CUSL2 with Intel i815e Chipset
    Western Digital 80 GB Special Edition
    Intel Pentium III 1 GHz
    512 MB Mushkin SDRAM
    Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Pro/650TV Golden Sample (Ti 4200 - 128 MB DDR)
    Creative Labs SBLive! MP3+
    DirectX 8.1
    Linksys Network Card

Goal

Fix the problem. I know there are many of you out there suffering from the same problem I am. By pooling our resources we should be able to find a resolution. If you are experiencing the same problem make sure to list your system configuration. If you've tried something that worked or didn't work post it! If we are unable to find a fix I'll email NVidia, Microsoft, and Intel (Mo, Larry, and Curly) with a link to this thread. Hopefully they'll recognize that there is a considerable issue here that needs to be addressed (rather than point fingers at each other).

What I've Done to Resolve the Problem

I know that my video card works, it purred when I was running Windows 98SE. And yes, it is firmly seated in its AGP slot.
    Since I'm writing from memory I know what steps I've taken but not what order in which I applied them. Nor do I recall what combination of the following I've tried. As you all know, sometimes you get lucky and an unintuitive combination of settings or the order in which you applied them can result in a resolution. That said, if myself or someone else tried something that didn't work don't let it discourage you from trying it yourself.

Here's a list of what I've done so far with no success:

• Exhaustively weeded through Microsoft's Knowledge Base, Tweaktown's forum, and the Guru 3D Forum.
    • Reinstalled Windows XP 2 times
    • BOIS - Reduced AGP 4X to 2X
    • BIOS - Changed "PNP OS" from "Yes" to "No"
    • BOIS - Disabled all unnecessary ports (serial, USB and parallel)
    • Drivers - Clean installations of Detonator XP drivers versions 30.30, 29.42, 29.80.
    • Reinstalled the AGP drivers from the Intel Chipset Installation Utility. Intel.com lists Windows XP as having native support for i815e chipset but I'm desperate and nothing else has worked so far. I extracted them to the default directory (C:\Program Files\Intel\InfInst) using the "setup -A" command from a command prompt. Two versions of the AGP and IO controller drivers exist within the installation files. The first a digitally signed version I installed by directing Windows to ...\ICH\Win2000\i815e.inf. The second is an unsigned version that I installed from the ...\ICH2\WinXP\i815e.inf. Neither installation had a positive effect so I rolled back the AGP controller driver to the original windows version.
    • Disabled the AGP controller driver in the Device Manager. As expected, my video card disappeared from device manager.
    • Used the instructions provided by JNive (http://www.guru3d.com/forum/printhea...threadid=32291) to uninstall the NVidia drivers and direct WINXP where to look for drivers upon startup.

Keyword Search Terms

I have had success locating threads which discuss similar problems using the following keywords:
    VGASAVE, WINXP, GEFORCE, This device cannot start (Code 10), NVIDIA, Drivers, unable to load, resource conflict

Note: I've also posted this thread in Guru 3D's Videocards - Nvidia forum (http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthre...threadid=33141)
    Peace out,

Magnus

Just spoke to Troy at nVIDIA tech support. He hadn't heard of the problem but recommended that I try loading setup defaults in my BIOS and reducing my hardware configuration to just my video card.

So begins the painful task of troubleshooting...
    Peace out,

Magnus

Wiggo commented today that he heard a big batch of Gainward cards were made with faulty ram.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...8470#post68470

if its ram, then thats gotta suck...suck a LOT

Hi All,

I think I found the culprit. Actually I'm 99% sure that I did. The "Memory Usage" section found on the "Performance" tab in System Properties allows you to select "Programs" or "System Cache". I read in some tweak guide somewhere that if you have 512 MB of RAM or more that selecting "System Cache" will result in a performance boost. Well I selected it, rebooted and was greeted by a 800x600 resolution and a yellow exclamation point next to my display adapter in the device manager. I changed the setting back to "Programs", rebooted and viola! Everything was back to 1280x1024 and the exclamation point was gone.

Thanks Bill G.!

Now I need to go find out why I'm only getting sound out of my right speaker. Bring on UT 2003!

Good luck,
    Peace out,

Magnus

must be something with the memory controller or something on the g4? but how?! doesn't make much sense but if it works, good enough lol

My numerous Net searches brought me to the conclusion that many GeForce cards are affected, not just the GF4's. I strongly believe the conflict stems from Intel's agp and I/O controllers.
    Peace out,

Magnus

another reason not to go intel =P

Thread Information